Old 05-11-2004, 02:29 AM
King

Default Decks...

I was looking to have a deck installed in my back yard with hot tub in the
side of it.... I was wondering the benefits of having a wooden deck vs. a
plastic deck....... any opinions or suggestions welcome....

Old 05-11-2004, 02:41 AM
Larry

"King" wrote in message
I was looking to have a deck installed in my back yard with hot tub in the
side of it.... I was wondering the benefits of having a wooden deck vs.

plastic deck....... any opinions or suggestions welcome....

Pressure treated wood= Cheaper

Plastic= Longer lasting, less maint.

Larry

Old 05-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Warren Weber

"King" wrote in message
I was looking to have a deck installed in my back yard with hot tub in the
side of it.... I was wondering the benefits of having a wooden deck vs.

plastic deck....... any opinions or suggestions welcome....

Stuff like Trex or Choice Deck is great. No maintenance, no SPLINTERS. I can
walk on it bare footed. Put up a 13 x 42 foot deck 12 feet above ground 5
years ago. Still in great condition with no maintenance. Won't stain or
absorb water. Warren

Old 05-11-2004, 03:17 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry" @ . wrote in message ...

Pressure treated wood= Cheaper

Plastic= Longer lasting, less maint.

Larry

Right so far, but expand your horizons. Deck from mahogany or ipe will last
30 or 40 years with no maintenance. Put a coat of Penofin oil every couple
of years and figure it will last over 50 years. It looks richer and is
better constructed. This past summer I bought some mahogany decking to build
a bench and paid $1.80 a lineal foot while ipe was $2.10.

Plastic may last, but it is more flexible, requires closer spaced supports.
I've not seen a deck complete with it, but looking at the material in the
store, I was not impressed.
Ed

Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:29:59 -0500, "King"
wrote:

I was looking to have a deck installed in my back yard with hot tub in the
side of it.... I was wondering the benefits of having a wooden deck vs. a
plastic deck....... any opinions or suggestions welcome....

Wood is less expensive, stronger (needs less supports). Higher
maintenance, more splintering.

Plastic is more expensive, needs more support and comes in limited
colors. No maintenance or splinters though.

A wood substitute such as Trex or Certainteed's products might be
another choice. Better woods are also available than conventional PT
decking, like Redwood, Teak, Ipe and so on.

Jeff