Old 25-11-2004, 05:52 AM
Maloney Empire

Default Advice re old hand push mower

Hi all,

I am seeking advice to find the history about an old lawn mower that a
friend has.
I have tried looking at ebay hoping to find something similar - none that I
could see.
I have also searched google to try and find a website that may help. We
have taken the mower to our local mower shop and the owner has never seen
anything quite like this style.
It is not the usual push mower as it has blades that move from side to
side - like a shaver.
Is there a collectors group that anyone knows about that I could contact -
and send a pic to for some help?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Di Maloney
Please reply group or
To reply direct, please remove '1' from email address -

Old 25-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Erma1ina

Maloney Empire wrote:

Hi all,

I am seeking advice to find the history about an old lawn mower that a
friend has.
I have tried looking at ebay hoping to find something similar - none that I
could see.
I have also searched google to try and find a website that may help. We
have taken the mower to our local mower shop and the owner has never seen
anything quite like this style.
It is not the usual push mower as it has blades that move from side to
side - like a shaver.
Is there a collectors group that anyone knows about that I could contact -
and send a pic to for some help?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Di Maloney
Please reply group or
To reply direct, please remove '1' from email address -

I think you may be talking about a style referred to as "reciprocating
knife" or "sickle bar". Does yours look like the 1st picture ("Push
sickle bar mower (1890's") on this page?

http://www.turf-tec.com/History-3.html

Also, you might check out the following, it's in the U.K. but . . .

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/index.htm