Old 28-11-2004, 12:47 PM
uvdoc

Default briggs and stration engine

hi I have a B & S 10hp and it was running great older model like 1988
craftsman riding mower and cant get it to fire and firing good and I put new
plug in it and checked all the wires but nothing now anyone have a idea what
else it could be thanks Jim

Old 28-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Steveo

"uvdoc" wrote:
hi I have a B & S 10hp and it was running great older model like 1988
craftsman riding mower and cant get it to fire and firing good and I put
new plug in it and checked all the wires but nothing now anyone have a
idea what else it could be thanks Jim

Did you check for spark?
Old 28-11-2004, 02:20 PM
GARAGE OWL

Hello, take the top cover off the engine and check the flywheel and coil
for rust

Old 29-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Hoyt Weathers

GARAGE OWL wrote:

Hello, take the top cover off the engine and check the flywheel and coil
for rust

This has happened to me several times. Here is what I do. I remove the spark plug and
check it for ANY fouling and then put in a squirt of gasoline - not too much. Replace
the spark plug, attach the plug wire and try to start it then. That has always worked
for me.

Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 AM
GARAGE OWL

Hello, have you looked at the flywheel key it could be sheared? also
have you checked the gap between the flywheel and coil? I would guess
this mower is a electronic ignition model so no points it could be the
ignition module on the coil, you said you checked the wiring so i would
guess you have power to the positive side of the coil? if this doesn't
work than i would replace the module if this is old enough it does have
points i would make sure they are working and have the coil checked. I
have seen the ignition switch go bad and no power to the coil.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:36 PM
William W. Plummer

uvdoc wrote:
hi I have a B & S 10hp and it was running great older model like 1988
craftsman riding mower and cant get it to fire and firing good and I put new
plug in it and checked all the wires but nothing now anyone have a idea what
else it could be thanks Jim

Anything like this causes me to rebuild the carburetor. You can buy a
kit with replacements for all the jets and gaskets, but the only one
that matters is the large gasket that separates the two major parts of
the carb. It has the accelerator pump diaphragm on it. It takes about
a half hour and no special tools are needed.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Oscar_Lives

"William W. Plummer" wrote in
message news:4C0sd.707393$8_6.390566@attbi_s04...
uvdoc wrote:
hi I have a B & S 10hp and it was running great older model like 1988
craftsman riding mower and cant get it to fire and firing good and I put
new
plug in it and checked all the wires but nothing now anyone have a idea
what
else it could be thanks Jim

Anything like this causes me to rebuild the carburetor. You can buy a
kit with replacements for all the jets and gaskets, but the only one that
matters is the large gasket that separates the two major parts of the
carb. It has the accelerator pump diaphragm on it. It takes about a
half hour and no special tools are needed.

Please explain how rebuilding the carburetor would have any improvement to a
malfunctioning ignition system.

3.5 Briggs and Stratton Engine on my Murray 20" mower garyhgaryh Lawns 3 09-10-2005 04:13 PM
Need Used Briggs and Stratton Engine for Rototiller canaanskier Lawns 1 03-05-2005 12:45 AM
Briggs & Stration uvdoc Lawns 4 14-12-2004 06:39 AM
Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine Not Me Lawns 15 30-04-2004 01:51 PM
Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine Not Me Lawns 1 10-03-2004 04:14 AM