Old 30-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Peter Parker

Default Mcculloch 35cc gas chain saw 16" any good?

HomieDepot is selling this chain saw for $79.99. Mcculloch
has been around since the early 1900s so I am thinking they
should know what they are doing. They did buy a Taiwan OEM
so I guess it's getting made over there or Mexico.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old 30-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Peter Parker

In article ,
Steveo wrote:
(Peter Parker) wrote:
HomieDepot is selling this chain saw for $79.99. Mcculloch
has been around since the early 1900s so I am thinking they
should know what they are doing. They did buy a Taiwan OEM
so I guess it's getting made over there or Mexico.

For $80 new, I'd buy it as a throw away.

That's what I was thinking. I compared it to the other crap brands
and for the money and the Mcculloch history, I would go with the Mac...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

Old 30-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Peter Parker

In article ,
Srgnt Billko wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
(Peter Parker) wrote:
HomieDepot is selling this chain saw for $79.99. Mcculloch
has been around since the early 1900s so I am thinking they
should know what they are doing. They did buy a Taiwan OEM
so I guess it's getting made over there or Mexico.

For $80 new, I'd buy it as a throw away.

That's my style. I must have 5 or 6 of them (various sizes) - and at least
3 of them still in regular operation. Also have a Mac weed wacker but can't
find a new spool for it. Thought Mac was gone forever.

Nope. Mac is here to stay.

http://www.inside-woodworking.com/ch...hain-saws.html

McCulloch well known for a
wide range of electric and gas
driven chain saws, was founded
in 1943 by Robert McCulloch in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin under
the original name of McCulloch Motors Corporation. Moving the company to
California, Robert McCulloch moved the company to California, where the first
McCulloch chain saws, the 5-49, was manufactured in 1948.

The 5-49 two-man mcculloch chain saws offered a winning combination of lighter
weight and more horsepower than any competitive two-man chain saw on the market.
Followed by the first one-man mcculloch chain saws, a truly remarkable product that
revolutionized the entire industry. The introduction of a chain saws that could easily be
handled by a single person opened the door to new markets for Mcculloch.

In 1958, the company name was changed to McCulloch Corporation. In 1968,
McCulloch introduced the Power Mac 6; weighing only 8.5 pounds fully fueled; it was
the world's lightest chain saw. The affordable Mini Mac 1, introducedin 1972 opened the
chain saws market to the casual user. Electric McCulloch chain saws were introduced in
1972 while gas powered string trimmers, hedge trimmersand blowers were added to
McCulloch's product line up in the 1980s. McCulloch moved to Tucson, Arizona in
1988 where it opened corporate headquarters and a distribution facility. In October 1999,
McCulloch's North American operation was purchased by Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd
, a Taiwan based manufacturer.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old 02-12-2004, 03:14 AM
JD

The first ekectric chain saw was invented by Andreas Stihl in 1926 and they
built one of the first gasoline chain saws in 1928.
For under $200 you can get a STIHL that you won't have to throw away and
will run for a long time. They are also built in Virginia, not Taiwan.
Why should you have 5 or 6 saws that only half run when you can get one that
will run?
JD

Old 03-12-2004, 04:38 PM
William W. Plummer

Peter Parker wrote:

HomieDepot is selling this chain saw for $79.99. Mcculloch
has been around since the early 1900s so I am thinking they
should know what they are doing. They did buy a Taiwan OEM
so I guess it's getting made over there or Mexico.

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those saws
for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want $6.50 to
sharpen blades, however.

Old 05-12-2004, 05:27 AM
John Harlow

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those
saws for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want
$6.50 to sharpen blades, however.

Get the Dremel adaptor and do it yourself in minutes for pennies.

Old 06-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Ben

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those
saws for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want
$6.50 to sharpen blades, however.

Get the Dremel adaptor and do it yourself in minutes for pennies.

I'm leery of using anything motorized, even a Dremel. My father
always used a file, flat ******* follwed by a mill, anything motorized
might heat up the metal too much and cause the blade to lose temper
won't it? I've only used a grinder (4") on a 8' bush hog, which still
took an hour.

Ben
Old 06-12-2004, 02:56 AM
timothy

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:49:23 -0800, Ben wrote:

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those
saws for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want $6.50
to sharpen blades, however.

Get the Dremel adaptor and do it yourself in minutes for pennies.

I'm leery of using anything motorized, even a Dremel. My father always
used a file, flat ******* follwed by a mill, anything motorized might heat
up the metal too much and cause the blade to lose temper won't it? I've
only used a grinder (4") on a 8' bush hog, which still took an hour.

Ben

They do make rather easy to use guides for sharpening. A five dollar guide
with a three dollar file and five mineuts of time... bada bing, sharp
teeth. Here's some pages that speak to this sharpening method:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/brewer57.htm
http://www.logosol.com/filingtips.html
Old 06-12-2004, 03:16 AM
John Harlow

I believe McCullough is out of business. I have used one of those
saws for many years and it has been fine. Near Boston they want
$6.50 to sharpen blades, however.

Get the Dremel adaptor and do it yourself in minutes for pennies.

I'm leery of using anything motorized, even a Dremel. My father
always used a file, flat ******* follwed by a mill, anything motorized
might heat up the metal too much and cause the blade to lose temper
won't it? I've only used a grinder (4") on a 8' bush hog, which still
took an hour.

The 3 or so seconds it takes to sharpen each tooth doesn't end up heating it
excessively; I can immediately touch the tooth afterwards and it doesn't
seem overly warm - it certainly doesn't burn me. I am really sold on the
Dremel sharpener; I do a lot of trail work and often need to cut muddy
fallen trees (dirt will instantly dull a blade). Using the Dremel I can
restore it to like new sharpness in literally minutes. YMMV.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Oscar_Lives

om...

You call your father a fat *******? What kind of son are you?