Old 11-12-2004, 08:21 PM
High Plains Thumper

"op4_camper" wrote:
"Oscar_Lives" wrote ...
HPT wrote:

Um, he was looking for practical advice. Meirman, forget
Sears, go to an automotive parts place like Autozone or
small engine repairman. They should be able to help you.

What's ****ing impractical about that? I do it all the
time. Just weld it shut and redrill. Use MIG or TIG,
take your time to avoid voids (pun not intended), then
drill it and thread it. Use an end-mill to spotface the
seat for good seal.

piece of cake.

If hes asking for help on a newsgroup then theres no way he
has the knowlege or equipement to that.
So you think he has a Tig or mig wir with argon gas.
A bridgeport/cnc/knee mill.
A four flute center cutting mill.
A spot drill
A drill for the tap.
Let alone clamping it and indicting off of something to set
zero. All that for some crap old mower.

I know what you are saying, I've worked in a machine shop and
operated a bridgeport milling machine. The cost alone for the
end mills were sufficiently high enough (and I am talking in a
1978 time frame) that he could buy a new mower.

I work at a machine shop and I still wouldnt waste my time
with what your suggested. I would use a 18mm plug. Actually
I wouldnt waste my time on a sears/craftsmen mower. I would
work a few hours ot and buy a new mower.

If someone can make a freebie mower work with a $2.50 plug,
then its a bargain. We bought Craftsman mower, but it was on
sale, self propelled with a Honda engine. It's done us good.
It's done so well and my wife enjoys using it, I let her mow
the grass. AFAIK, most mowers are made by Electrolux anyway.

- HPT