Old 24-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Anthony Matonak

Default Mosquito control -- Standing water: how to drain water from tires.

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm rosielle@telus wrote:
"quietguy" wrote in message

much easier to just pop a desertspoon or so of kero in each tyre - stops
the mossies from breeding

Or just soap, they breed and the larva drown.

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Anthony
Old 24-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Harry K

Anthony Matonak wrote:
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm rosielle@telus wrote:
"quietguy" wrote in

message

much easier to just pop a desertspoon or so of kero in each tyre -

stops
the mossies from breeding

Or just soap, they breed and the larva drown.

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Anthony

And what is that bit about re-cycling?? Never heard of any effort to
set up bins for rubber.

Harry K

Old 24-03-2005, 10:10 PM

Tire parts can easily be placed into existing recycling-bins. Since the
sidewalls don't contain embedded steel-belts, the sidwalls would be
valued by recycing industries. "Buyback programs would be an even
better idea than just placing tire parts in recycling bins!"

Old 25-03-2005, 12:16 PM
willshak

On 3/24/2005 9:26 AM US(ET), Harry K took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/recycling...rumbrubber.htm

--
Bill
Old 25-03-2005, 12:39 PM

"Tire parts can easily be placed into existing recycling-bins. Since
the
sidewalls don't contain embedded steel-belts, the sidwalls would be
valued by recycing industries. "

What a total moron. Every community that I'm aware of requires
recyclables to be seperated by type. And none of them accept tires or
tire parts as part of the std household recycling stream. Some will
take tires as part of a seperate special program, typically for a fee
and at a drop off location that is entirely seperate from the std
recycling pick up. And those are a headache to get rid of too. In
fact, here in NJ, the state recently instituted a tax on tires to help
pay for getting rid of them, because no one wants them.

Old 26-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Blake

"Anthony Matonak" wrote

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Old 26-03-2005, 04:34 AM
Anthony Matonak

Blake wrote:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote
Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Why store tires at all? What are you saving them for? How many tires do
you have that you can't find a place for them under some kind of cover?
You don't have a tire dump in the state? You don't have a garage, barn,
shed, tarp, or anything else?

I see this kind of "question" along the same lines of "How do you keep
your meth lab from blowing up?" and "The stack of old car batteries in
my back yard is starting to leak into my cesspool, what can I do?".

Anthony
Old 26-03-2005, 05:33 AM
The Real Bev

Anthony Matonak wrote:

Blake wrote:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote
Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Why store tires at all? What are you saving them for? How many tires do
you have that you can't find a place for them under some kind of cover?
You don't have a tire dump in the state? You don't have a garage, barn,
shed, tarp, or anything else?

It's good to keep one or two wheel-less tires around to tie to the front
or back of a car when you need to use one to push another.

I see this kind of "question" along the same lines of "How do you keep
your meth lab from blowing up?" and "The stack of old car batteries in
my back yard is starting to leak into my cesspool, what can I do?".

You've been spying in my neighborhood :-( You're wrong about the
cesspool, though, we were on city sewers long before we moved in 37
years ago. We did have a lab blow up up the street, though. Or maybe
it was just a small fire. Anyway, the hazmat team was there.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old 27-03-2005, 02:34 PM

"Here in CA, most types of clean waste (styrofoam one of the
exceptions)
can be placed (and mixed-in) the recycling bins e.g., all the different

types of paper, plastics, metals, etc. Nothing has been said about
rubber or tire-parts. "

The fact that nothing has been said about tire parts or rubber pretty
much tells you that they don't want them in the recyclables, doesn't
it? I'm sure no one is regularly chopping up tires and putting them in
with the other standard recyclables. And if they did, what do you
think would happen to it when it gets to the recycling facility? Most
likely, it would get chucked into the stuff headed for the land fill.

I also find it interesting that in your area of CA you can just mix all
the recyclables together. It's very unusual to see paper mixed with
glass, cans etc. I would think this would make a big mess to try to
sort out. More typical is to have it seperated:

newpaper
mixed other paper
glass/cans/plastic

And event these typically have some restricitions. For example, glass
means containers, not window glass, and as you pointed out, plastic
means household containers, not styrofoam, etc. Some also require
glass seperated from metals.