Old 27-03-2005, 05:37 PM
DrPhil

Default chain saw sharpening

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.
Old 27-03-2005, 07:17 PM
JB

I always take mine to the pro. Plus, I always keep a spare chain sharpened.

John

. ..

Old 27-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Gomezz

"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..
Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

It's easy. Clamp the bar in the vice, make a mark (so you know where you
started), file it (with the correct size chain saw file for your bar in one
of those 'clamp on' guides that shows the correct angle) and I give it about
6 to 8 strokes on each tooth. While you're there, check the bar oiling
system, chain tension, and grease the nose roller. These are all things you
should be able to do 'out in the woods' (without heading back to the
"chainsaw guy" for every little thing).

Red

Old 27-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Srgnt Billko

"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..
Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

If you think it's a blade, I am guessing you shouldn't try.

Make sure you don't hit nails, wire, etc imbedded in wood or rocks or
stone - and keep the bar and chain out of the dirt. If you are carefull the
chain should last for lots of cutting. From the way you talk I'm guessing
you aren't using it much - probably should last a couple years. I work the
hell out of mine and they last over a year.

Old 27-03-2005, 11:07 PM
DrPhil

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

If you think it's a blade, I am guessing you shouldn't try.

duh. meant chain:0

Make sure you don't hit nails, wire, etc imbedded in wood or rocks or
stone - and keep the bar and chain out of the dirt. If you are carefull the
chain should last for lots of cutting. From the way you talk I'm guessing
you aren't using it much - probably should last a couple years. I work the
hell out of mine and they last over a year.

musta got into the dirt trying to cut into roots of stump left over from
tree that fell during storm. Was new blade now makes dust when I use
it. I am good at sharpening drill bits, never tried chain saw sharpening.

Old 27-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Srgnt Billko

"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

If you think it's a blade, I am guessing you shouldn't try.

duh. meant chain:0

Make sure you don't hit nails, wire, etc imbedded in wood or rocks or
stone - and keep the bar and chain out of the dirt. If you are carefull

the
chain should last for lots of cutting. From the way you talk I'm

guessing
you aren't using it much - probably should last a couple years. I work

the
hell out of mine and they last over a year.

musta got into the dirt trying to cut into roots of stump left over from
tree that fell during storm. Was new blade now makes dust when I use
it. I am good at sharpening drill bits, never tried chain saw sharpening.

Our local shops only charge $5 and they use a machine that lines the cut up
right. I'm a retired tool and diemaker and I don't bother doing it myself.
I do keep extra chains though - and I cut roots with an axe - never a chain
saw.

Old 27-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Gomezz

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That's definetly reasonable for a professional job.

Old 29-03-2005, 04:29 AM
John Harlow

DrPhil wrote:
Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

I use a dremel adapter. It does a great job and is very easy to use,
especially the 2nd + time

Old 29-03-2005, 03:43 PM
William W. Plummer

DrPhil wrote:

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

I tried doing my own once. It was time consuming and the results
weren't the best. $6.50 at the hardware store is reasonable. I keep
three blades on the shelf ready to go.
Old 29-03-2005, 04:11 PM
DrPhil

William W. Plummer wrote:

DrPhil wrote:

Sould I try to sharpen my chain saw blade? Is it easy to do? or just
take it to the guy that does this for a living.

I tried doing my own once. It was time consuming and the results
weren't the best. $6.50 at the hardware store is reasonable. I keep
three blades on the shelf ready to go.

I found a guy close by that will do them for $5 each so I took them to
him. For that price, why not, huh.
thanks for the input