Old 02-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Rolling Thunder

Default Snapper Walk Behind Mowers??

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:57:29 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Do any of you have any experience with farily late model, self propelled,
walk behind Snapper mowers?

I've a Snapper walk behind. I've had it for nine years now. This
year it started on the third pull after winter storage. The tank was
dry. I've not changed the plug during this time but change oil
and sharpen each year whether it needs it or not, ha!

I paid about $500 for it. The blade is a direct connect to the shaft.
It has a recycle blade. I overheated it once and since
then it does use some oil; maybe a half quart during a season.

Works fine for a long time.

Thunder
Old 02-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Oscar_Lives

wrote:

Do any of you have any experience with farily late model, self propelled,
walk behind Snapper mowers?

I've a Snapper walk behind. I've had it for nine years now. This
year it started on the third pull after winter storage. The tank was
dry. I've not changed the plug during this time but change oil
and sharpen each year whether it needs it or not, ha!

I paid about $500 for it. The blade is a direct connect to the shaft.
It has a recycle blade. I overheated it once and since
then it does use some oil; maybe a half quart during a season.

Works fine for a long time.

Thunder

How did you overheat it?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Rolling Thunder

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:57:31 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

How did you overheat it?

Overheated by trying to cut grass that was too tall.

Thunder
Old 04-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Goedjn

Uhhh, you guys act like there are just a dozen loose rocks lying
around on top of the ground that can be picked up by hand. Come out
to my place and see the acre+ of projecting rocks that are merely the
tip of the much large deeply embedded rocks (boulders to you) that
cannot easily be gathered up.

(This is an open area below the acre or so that has been finished off
for lawn - we have a total of about 12 acres - the rest is wooded.)

We have a heavy duty belt driven large self propelled mower with a
thick blade that can withstand bouncing off the ocassional fixed rock.
Another popular method is to use the various heavy duty wheeled walk
behind string trimmers. Those are OK for grass, but we have a lot of
woody shoots or actual sprouting trees that come up, so we need more
cutting power.

A person without heavy equipment could not possible "clean up" the
rocks in my yard, and I expect his too.

Rubble fields do not make good meadows. If you can't set the cutting
blades on the mower high enough to miss the rocks, then
(A) Switch to a sickle-bar mower,
(B) Truck in dirt to bury the rocks, and then clear them over the
years as they float to the surface.
(C) fence the area and buy about 3 sheep and a goat.
(D) Build a dam and flood the area every couple years, drowning
the plants that you don't like.
(E) Clear the perimeter, mow that, and burn the middle off.
Plant blueberries.

--Goedjn
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Warren

Goedjn wrote:

Rubble fields do not make good meadows. If you can't set the cutting
blades on the mower high enough to miss the rocks, then
(A) Switch to a sickle-bar mower,
(B) Truck in dirt to bury the rocks, and then clear them over the
years as they float to the surface.
(C) fence the area and buy about 3 sheep and a goat.
(D) Build a dam and flood the area every couple years, drowning
the plants that you don't like.
(E) Clear the perimeter, mow that, and burn the middle off.
Plant blueberries.

I would suggest that if they have the money, they certainly can choose to
wreck as many blades and mowers as they want. It may not be the choice
brighter people would make, but if they've got the money, let them waste it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Rolling Thunder

wrote:

Do any of you have any experience with farily late model, self propelled,
walk behind Snapper mowers?

I saw one last month (in another State, on vacation), that I have interest
in. It was about 7 HP, self propelled, and 21 inch cut. Price was in
$500 range I think.

If you have one, how well do you like it ?? Is the mower blade attached to
the shaft, or is it belt driven?

I have to cut in areas where I am prone to hit large rocks, and I am
concerned about bending the shaft it is directly connected. I am also
interesting in how well the self propel mechanism is. I have a much older
mower that has a very simple friction spline that pinches up against the
rear tire. It doesn't work very well, especially when it gets wet.

Thanks for any comments !!

--James--

A tonic may work better than any machine. Try:
one can cola, one can beer, one cup liquid soap, and one
cup ammonia and spray with a 20 gallon sprayer. Thatching
only needs to be done if thicker than 3/4" and mulching,
if done right, doesn't cause thatch.

A can of beer is a lot cheaper than buying or rentals. Or, at
least American beer, ha!

Thunder