Old 13-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"notspike" wrote in message
.. .
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

I answered you last week on this question. thread this discussion in you
newreader and look back for the answer.

Yes, but Steveo said "Huh?" and I didn't know what that meant. I was trying
to get Jay and Mary to pipe in on a price.

Thanks.

Old 13-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

Hi Heidi.

How big an area are you going to aerate?
Old 13-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Steveo

"Jay & Mary Julson" wrote:
"notspike" wrote in message
. ..
Jay & Mary Julson wrote:

I have a Plugr. I have had it for about two weeks. The reason I went
with this type is several.

1. easier to transport
2. less parts then the conventional one.
3. easier to manuver then conventional.
4. I went with the eight tine so only have eight tines instead of
what the conventional have.

To answer your question about tearing up the turf compared to the pull
behind. I cann't say as I have not used or seen the the pull behind
used. My customers are satisfied with the results.

Thanks for the reply
would you recommend it?
are the holes "clean"? ie. does tines go pretty much straight up and
down and just leave a hole in the ground? The reason I ask is I would
like to use it on a putting green and holes ore ok as long as the
ground around the hole is not damaged as that takes longer to grow back
in and 'heal' than a simple hole does.
does it appear well made and long lasting?
Thanks again
Bob

Yes the machines is well made. The one I got weighs 275 lbs. The damage
around the holes is minimal. It depend mostly on how wet the ground is
when you aerate. The wetter the soiler the better chance of the ground
sticking to the tines like any aerator. As you know the tines run on a
cam so the tines do go straight down and the self propelled comes from
the motion of the tines. If you hit hard soil so you do not get deep
penetration the machine can almost run away from you if you are not ready
(like any aerator).

If you like I can take some pictures and email them to you.

Hi J&M.

If you don't mind, please post a few to this free host. No sign-up is
required.

http://www.imageshack.us/

Thanks.
Old 13-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
"notspike" wrote in message
.. .
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

I answered you last week on this question. thread this discussion in
you newreader and look back for the answer.

Yes, but Steveo said "Huh?"

Won't be the last time either.
Old 14-05-2005, 12:05 AM
notspike

Jay & Mary Julson wrote:

If you like I can take some pictures and email them to you. It may be a
while as it is raining here in North Dakota and has been for two days. I
can take some pictures of lawns that we did two weeks ago if you like and
you can see for your self. Our soil has a lot of clay so I do not know the
surronding soil damage potential with more sandy type soil.

thanks. if you can post them to the site steveo mentioned that would be
greatly appreciated.

Old 14-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Jay & Mary Julson

The price ranges from $1700 to $2700. $1700 for the 22 inch with 4 tines
and there is a 6 and 8 tine 30 inch. The 8 tine 30 inch is $2700.

I will post pictures when I get them.
Jay

Old 14-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Heidi the Horrible

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

Hi Heidi.

How big an area are you going to aerate?

Well, I have ten acres or so or low maintainence lawn and I drag a cheap
roller aerator from Lowes and it works fine. However, I have about half an
acre of nice lawn around the house that is impossible to get the 'drag
behind' into. These areas are high traffic and suffer from compaction and
I'd love to punch them a couple times a year. I'm weighing owning vs
renting. Owning is expensive and comes with maintainence issues but renting
is a pain for me for a couple of reasons.

HtH

Old 14-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Steveo

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

Hi Heidi.

How big an area are you going to aerate?

Well, I have ten acres or so or low maintainence lawn and I drag a cheap
roller aerator from Lowes and it works fine. However, I have about half
an acre of nice lawn around the house that is impossible to get the 'drag
behind' into. These areas are high traffic and suffer from compaction
and I'd love to punch them a couple times a year. I'm weighing owning vs
renting. Owning is expensive and comes with maintainence issues but
renting is a pain for me for a couple of reasons.

HtH

Do you have a rental place near-by? You can rent one for relatively
cheap for those tight areas.
Old 14-05-2005, 05:58 AM
JoeT

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
How much do they cost ? This isn't clear from the discussions above.

Thanks

HtH

Hi Heidi.

How big an area are you going to aerate?

Well, I have ten acres or so or low maintainence lawn and I drag a cheap
roller aerator from Lowes and it works fine. However, I have about half
an acre of nice lawn around the house that is impossible to get the 'drag
behind' into. These areas are high traffic and suffer from compaction and
I'd love to punch them a couple times a year. I'm weighing owning vs
renting. Owning is expensive and comes with maintainence issues but
renting is a pain for me for a couple of reasons.

HtH

Just curious how much weight you strap onto that drag behind to get it to do
a decent job? And is it a core or spike type?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old 14-05-2005, 07:25 AM

A few serious questions Stevo et al.

I too, am considering an aerator. I own a 10,000 sq ft world class croquet
lawn, Tif Eagle Hybrid Bermuda turf grown on a 12" sand base with 6"gravel
subsoil drainage layer. I need to aerate 3+ times a year.

Please feel free to fill in any gaps in my logic on this important purchase
decision

As of now, these are the pros and cons. (IMHO)

The Pluger is cheap: ~$1600 to $2800 (Brand New) depending on model. . New
Ryan Greensaire? ~$12000+. Used: maybe $1500 to $3000 depending on
condition, ~ 8+ years old.

My biggest concern is surface disruption. Depending on stress, summer
months my court is normally cut between 0.125" (1/8 inch) to 0.140" (9/64
inch) with my 1994 TORO 3100 Triplex. The entire playing surface was
laser leveled within 1/4 inch. I don't need an aerator that will leave
mounds around each hole which will dull my mower reels in about 10 seconds.
I'm not so sure the Plugr will fit my needs on this I tried a Ryan rotary
aerator. It was terrible. It cost me an expensive reel grind on my mower
and took months of top dressing to become level again. (we drag a 12 ft
ladder diagonally behind a mower while topdressing)

OTOH a very old borrowed Ryan Greesaire was exceptional, my court was level
with only one heavy topdressing. It comes with small (1/4"??) tines and
larger (5/8"?) tines. Disadvantages: It was heavy, bulky and could not
aerate while negotiating curves or hills . I was admonished: "use it only
on my sandy court, never on my other lawns" (clay) which might have an
occasional stray piece of gravel or "it would sustain SERIOUS DAMAGE". Is
this really true? If so, that would severely limit its use as far as most
homeowners/lawn professionals are concerned.

It would be a bonus to have an aerator I wouln't have to baby. The Plugr
website http://www.plugr.com/ (of course) says it is vey durable, the
second best thing to a Ginsu knife (VBG) It says you can use in on any
soil, around curves, and across slopes without concern.

Lastly Stevo, I agree Ryan (and my personal favorite: Toro) make great
greens aerators , but new they are $12,000. Most used ones are in need of
costly repairs. The Plugr is new, I'm not buying someone else's problem
machine. Other than owning one, do you have any other reasons to buy a
Ryan? More importantly, have you ever seen (or used) a Plugr in action?
If so, will it fit my needs? I sure would like an inexpensive (non used)
alternative to Ryan/Toro. Can you provide specific reasons not to buy a
Plugr?

Dr. J

Old 14-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Steveo

A few serious questions Stevo et al.

I too, am considering an aerator. I own a 10,000 sq ft world class
croquet lawn, Tif Eagle Hybrid Bermuda turf grown on a 12" sand base
with 6"gravel subsoil drainage layer. I need to aerate 3+ times a year.

-snip-

Sorry, dochuff, Bermuda is something I know almost nothing about here
in Ohio. Good luck with your decision.

Old 14-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote:
[...]

I have a core aerator I bought from Lowes. I strap four cement blocks on
there and pull it behind the 4-wheeler (faster than the mower). I punch
when the grass is dry but the soil is moist. If the ground is dry, then it
doesn't dig deep enough and if the ground is too wet it is a muddy mess and
if the grass is wet, then I can't get good traction with all the weight.

I totally trashed the thing after about five seasons of rough use but they
are fairly cheap and I'll just get another.

HtH

Old 14-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Heidi the Horrible

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey, Dr. J.

Check out this guy....
http://www.mauicroquetclub.org/galle...anglewoodFarm/

He has an awesome court.

You could ask him what he does maintainence-wise. When I saw his court, it
was awesome.

HtH

Recommendations for plug aerator? [email protected] Lawns 0 14-05-2003 12:44 PM
aerator- plug vs. disc Kelly Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
FS: broadcast spreader & aerator/seeder michelled North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM
aerator- plug vs. disc Kelly Lawns 1 29-09-2002 08:20 AM