Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
merc

Default Pricing new sprinklet system

All,

I live near Austin, TX and I'm currently gathering quotes from
irrigation companies in my area.

My questions a

1. Is Rainbird better than Hunter or Toro?
2. What about the vavles and brands?
3. Why do I need a backflow prevention system?
4. How far should they bury the pipes? 6 inches? 8 inches?
5. What diameter (OD and ID) pipe and brand/type pipe is considered
good? (I've read where people's pipes break so i'm concerened)

Any other things that I should look out for would be greatly
appreciated. Such as:

1. better quality brands
2. things to ask the bidding companies
3. things to watch out for such as thin pipes and other bad practices
4. any other information you feel needs to be shared.

thanks everyone

Jon

--remove (nospam)

Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

3. Why do I need a backflow prevention system?

That keeps anything bad (like chemicals) from drawing back from the
irrigation system into your household water supply.

The professionals around here use Toro parts. My neighbor's heads are
Nelson, but he's a gazillionaire and overpays to get industrial
strength versinos of anything he buys.

My buddy the surgeon just whipped out his checkbook and is paying
$8000 to have a system professionally installed next week.

I hope it rains every day after that.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Stubby

merc wrote:
All,

I live near Austin, TX and I'm currently gathering quotes from
irrigation companies in my area.

My questions a

1. Is Rainbird better than Hunter or Toro?
2. What about the vavles and brands?
3. Why do I need a backflow prevention system?
4. How far should they bury the pipes? 6 inches? 8 inches?
5. What diameter (OD and ID) pipe and brand/type pipe is considered
good? (I've read where people's pipes break so i'm concerened)

Any other things that I should look out for would be greatly
appreciated. Such as:

1. better quality brands
2. things to ask the bidding companies
3. things to watch out for such as thin pipes and other bad practices
4. any other information you feel needs to be shared.

I tried drip irrigation in my gardens using some inexpensive plastic
tubing and drippers. The quality was so poor that I just gave up. In
particular the drippers clogged and were not uniform in flow rate.
Also, the plastic parts aged quickly in the sun, resulting in cracks.
Old 13-07-2005, 01:03 AM
FDR

"Stubby" wrote in message

merc wrote:
[...]

I've had good luck with Dripworks stuff.

Old 14-07-2005, 03:14 PM
wkearney99

I tried drip irrigation in my gardens using some inexpensive plastic
tubing and drippers. The quality was so poor that I just gave up. In
particular the drippers clogged and were not uniform in flow rate.
Also, the plastic parts aged quickly in the sun, resulting in cracks.

I've had one in place for several years and it's been great. Depends on
much sun you get, I tend to try burying my tubing in mulch. But none of
mine have cracked, granted I'm in Maryland not the desert southwest. I also
made SURE to use filters and backflow prevention. Helps prevent having
drippers lying on soil sucking up crud when the flow shuts off and the water
left in the lines runs back downhill. Some drippers are better than others.
I've been pleased with the reliability of the RainBird drippers but their
mist isn't all that fine.

Pond Liner Pricing - EPDM vs Permalon Bryan Ponds 9 14-02-2004 01:32 AM
farmers market pricing WiGard Gardening 12 11-02-2004 05:32 PM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 0 06-02-2004 09:01 AM
Pricing Fish! Paul Cimins Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 27-08-2003 08:33 PM
Garden Centre Pricing Stephen G United Kingdom 9 21-04-2003 04:46 PM