Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Unknown

Default Unknown tomato problem

I have few cherry tomatoes and few better boys in the garden. I noticed
the leaves of 2 of the cherry ones and abotu 2of the better boys, look
very droopy. It can' tbe lack of water because I saw them droop right on
the next day of that rain! I see that now more and more of my plants are
gettng that way! What might be causing it and what should I do to keep
other plants from getting it.

I haven't lost any plant so far, but the leaves have started to look so
droopy, that I fear soon I'll be loosing them. I know its not blight!

Save my tomatoes!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
tomatolord

sorry they cannot be saved

The plant may not be dead just wounded - you may want to remove the diseased
leaves and dispose of them NOT in the compost pile. Give it some extra
fertilizer to try to keep it going.

You have a wilt not a blight.

Basically the same causes that come with tomato blights

although the better boys are supposed to be resistant.

Tomatolord

Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Unknown

I looked at some of the online pictures of tomato wilt, but that's not
what my plants look like. Mine look like as if they have dried out
because of heat. Like if you don't water the plants on any very hot day,
the look that they have at the end of the day. That's how mine look now.
I'll try to take a picture.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Susan Hogarth

Unknown wrote:
I looked at some of the online pictures of tomato wilt, but that's not
what my plants look like. Mine look like as if they have dried out
because of heat. Like if you don't water the plants on any very hot day,
the look that they have at the end of the day. That's how mine look now.
I'll try to take a picture.

Wouldn't that indicate damage to the roots? That is, the plants *are*
wilting, because they can't get enough water even though there is
plenty of it. Perhaps it is grubs or something like that eating the
roots.

- Susan

Old 04-08-2005, 01:29 AM
tomatolord

In that case that is simple leaf die off - especially if it is among the
early growth - any plant as it ages drops the early leaves, especially like
a tomato where the old growth is being shaded by the plant above so the
plant kills of the leaves receiving lesser energy for those who are getting
more.

Remember a tomato is a vine - hence the indeterminate name - yes bush/paste
are determinate

You also have to look at your plants 1st thing in the morning not the
evening - they can be affected by transpiration - that is the plant gives
off more water then the roots can absorb, which is why you need to look at
them in the a.m. if the plant is ok then - no wilting - then you are ok

Now you could be correct in that the plant is too large for the root system
in that case pinch off the suckers of the plant - they are the branches that
are in the middle of a V - those will generally never get to the size to
produce fruit.

Tomatolord

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 05-08-2005, 05:13 PM

On 2005-08-04, tomatolord wrote:
[...]

The other possibility is too much water. They will wilt if the ground
is saturated and if saturated long enough the roots will rot and the
plant will die.

Unknown wrote:
I looked at some of the online pictures of tomato wilt, but that's not
what my plants look like. Mine look like as if they have dried out
because of heat. Like if you don't water the plants on any very hot day,
the look that they have at the end of the day. That's how mine look now.
I'll try to take a picture.

Wouldn't that indicate damage to the roots? That is, the plants *are*
wilting, because they can't get enough water even though there is
plenty of it. Perhaps it is grubs or something like that eating the
roots.

- Susan

is a garbage address.