Old 20-03-2006, 07:48 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Want to swap plants?

Just started a new group called trianglegardentrade. Check it out if
you have some plants, cuttings, bulbs, etc. you would like to swap or
barter for. No sales or advertisements, please.

Old 21-03-2006, 11:59 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

We have a perfectly adequate newsgroup in triangle.gardens, thank you, and
we have actually managed a few swaps & giveaways long before you showed
p -- just as we will long after you are gone.

I strongly suggest you not reinvent the wheel.

Anne

ups.com...

Old 25-03-2006, 08:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Anne, If I offended you, I am soooo very sorry. I have been a member
of this newsgroup for over a year and just thought it would be neat to
have one for those who just want to trade, rather than looking through
all the other gardening related topics. If you are not interested in
my idea, that is fine and you do not have to participate. However, I
find it very rude of you to be so bold as to encourage an avid SOUTHERN
gardener to be gone just because I came up with the idea. Last time I
checked this is a free country. Hope you have a great year gardening
and God Bless you.

Old 27-03-2006, 02:13 AM posted to triangle.gardens

http://groups.google.com/group/trian...entrade?lnk=li

Old 27-03-2006, 03:53 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

You might keep in mind that many people go to Google Groups only to search
for archived posts by topic, newsgroup, etc. -- so many potential
subscribers might not ever see it.

For example, in Outlook Express at least, trianglegardentrade does not show
up as a newsgroup under either "triangle" or "garden."

Anne

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://groups.google.com/group/trian...entrade?lnk=li

Old 27-03-2006, 06:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Brent Harsh

Default Usenet vs. Forums/Groups/Lists (Was: Want to swap plants?)

wrote:

Anne, If I offended you, I am soooo very sorry. I have been a member
of this newsgroup for over a year and just thought it would be neat to
have one for those who just want to trade, rather than looking through
all the other gardening related topics. If you are not interested in

Hi JM,

Not speaking for Anne, but I can explain a bit of my own frustration with the newer Usenet community in the context of your new swapping group. The problem I see is that so many people have never experienced newsgroups (not "bulletin boards" or "groups" or "mailing lists" but rather true newsgroups) as they were originally meant to be: text messages read in a threaded client. What I see happening over and over is that new folks find a newsgroup, watch it for a while and say "hey, this could be so much better if it only had posts about such-and-so." So they then create a new place (a google group, a PHP forum, a yahoo group, etc - so many possibilities exist now) to hang out and discuss their smaller interest. These new systems don't interact or even interoperate with the older methods, and it gets frustrating to try to keep up with them all.

For example, in one of my hobbies (hang gliding) I have to monitor 5 different e-mail lists for different sites within the state, 1 online magazine which hosts PHP forums, 1 real newsgroup (totally dead now), 2 (out of MANY) bloggers which I can get via an RSS feed, and at least 3 national/international Yahoo Groups. The sense of community that used to be fostered by a common "place" is gone for people interested in hang gliding, and as I read postings from people on all these different mediums, I can see the thread of one interesting article or concept make its way around the different forums - and therefore have to scan/read it many times.

Anyway, there are so very few postings here on triangle.gardens that I think it would be the *perfect* place for plant swapping to take place. Usually the subject lines make it easy to separate out wheat from chaff. Gardening is not my primary interest, but I do like to quickly scan through and see what troubles people have, and if someone had plants to give away or trade I might partake and make my yard a bit better. But I'm not likely to go sign up and monitor yet another media type just to have access to that. So speaking selfishly, I'd love to see this kept at home, here in the newsgroup. Of course it's a free country, but as more and more people exercise their freedom by pulling away into little cliques, that reduces the power of the whole.

My opinions only, and a favorite rant...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.
Old 27-03-2006, 07:04 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-03-27, Anne Lurie wrote:
You might keep in mind that many people go to Google Groups only to search
for archived posts by topic, newsgroup, etc. -- so many potential
subscribers might not ever see it.

For example, in Outlook Express at least, trianglegardentrade does not show
up as a newsgroup under either "triangle" or "garden."

It is a Google group not a Usenet News Group. Two separate and distinct
groups of groups.

Anne

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://groups.google.com/group/trian...entrade?lnk=li

is a garbage address.
Old 29-03-2006, 10:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-03-28, wrote:

Uh...google groups are usenet groups. Forgot who bought/sold what but currently
Google hosts (or at least record/save) the usenets groups.
It's different from yahoo's groups if that's what you meant.

It is different from usenet also. You are correct they are an
archive.They bought DejaNews archive. So far as I know you have to be
registered with google to post to google groups or usenet groups, but I
post to usenet from a newsreader called slrn that accesses the
roadrunner newsserver.

I don't believe google has binaries though and you have to go to a
different newsserver for them. They are so large they are purged more
often.

I don't know for sure but I suspect google controls the content of their
groups, but the only thing they can do with usenet group posts is just
not archive the ones they find objectionable. But those can surely be
found on other places on usenet.

I could be wrong, and I will let my son expound if he chooses. He knows
far more about this stuff than I.

Old 30-03-2006, 12:18 AM posted to triangle.gardens
bud

Ann,
You're almost mean in what you say. I don't think anyone is mean hearted by
nature. She's only trying to open an opportunity here. I really in 3 or 4
years on this news group can say that there has been very much swapping of
plants going on. It's mostly a garden advice group.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...
You might keep in mind that many people go to Google Groups only to search
for archived posts by topic, newsgroup, etc. -- so many potential
subscribers might not ever see it.

For example, in Outlook Express at least, trianglegardentrade does not
show up as a newsgroup under either "triangle" or "garden."

Anne

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://groups.google.com/group/trian...entrade?lnk=li

Old 30-03-2006, 05:07 AM posted to triangle.gardens
?

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:18:56 GMT in .net bud wrote:
Ann,
You're almost mean in what you say. I don't think anyone is mean hearted by
nature. She's only trying to open an opportunity here. I really in 3 or 4
years on this news group can say that there has been very much swapping of
plants going on. It's mostly a garden advice group.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...

It's a culture clash.

The individual that started this thread is introducing a disruptive
and DISTRACTIVE technology for something where the technology holding
the thread was already suited for the task.

There are those, thanks to google and its content mangling policies,
that see this USENET as yet another blog and let us contaminate any
content with entirely too much distraction.

Then there are the folks like you that can't seem to grasp the concepts
like "Do not top post" "If you must top post, consider not quoting the
previous article at all."

I try not to be as much of an asshole about it as Burnore.

Anyhoo, here's the crux of the conflict this time.

A person thinks "Ooh great, I'll create yet another space to do commerce."[1]
That person may or may not actually have items of commerce.

Now my viewpoint is. Why the hell couldn't that person just say
"I have an overabundance of X. I'm looking to trade for some Y."
where X and Y are completely on topic to the newsgroup. Instead
this person burns time creating form instead of content and directs
us towards something that is more form than content.

Anyhoo, to be on topic. I have an over abudance of hot pepper
seedlings. They are from seeds from a thai style hot pepper
my granddad used to propagate, but it's appearing that there
are some sports due to interbreeding with a couple other
hot peppers last year.
I may end up with an overabudance of hosta seedlings.
Don't have anything specific I'm looking for right now,
but let me think about it :-).

[1] Sorry, just because monies are not exchanged does not nullify that it's
still commerce.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 30-03-2006, 04:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens
marymind

? wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:18:56 GMT in .net bud wrote:

Ann,
You're almost mean in what you say. I don't think anyone is mean hearted by
nature. She's only trying to open an opportunity here. I really in 3 or 4
years on this news group can say that there has been very much swapping of
plants going on. It's mostly a garden advice group.

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Hello, Chris,
I would really love some of your hostas if you still have too many.
I've been trying to get my back garden established and they would work
perfectly. Where are you located?
Thanks, Mary
Old 30-03-2006, 04:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens
?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:00:22 -0500 in marymind wrote:

? wrote:
I may end up with an overabudance of hosta seedlings.
Don't have anything specific I'm looking for right now,
but let me think about it :-).

Hello, Chris,
I would really love some of your hostas if you still have too many.
I've been trying to get my back garden established and they would work
perfectly. Where are you located?

It's too early to tell if I have too many. I haven't had chance
to put in the beds they are going into.
I'll have a better idea when the second batch of seed sprouts.

At this point I do need some ideas.
I have a couple concrete slabs on my property that were poured
on top of the ground, and the ground has since eroded from some of the
edges. I need ideas on a retaining wall and fill to get the entire
slab supported.
Old 30-03-2006, 05:36 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Arwen Long

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, ? wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:18:56 GMT in .net bud wrote:
Anyhoo, to be on topic. I have an over abudance of hot pepper
seedlings. They are from seeds from a thai style hot pepper
my granddad used to propagate, but it's appearing that there
are some sports due to interbreeding with a couple other
hot peppers last year.

That sounds awesome. Hmm, what could I trade? Well, if you were to put a
whole bunch of dirt around your concrete bins then I could trade you some
tough sedums to act as ground cover and prevent erosion.

Btw, I mentioned to the discussants of the early trade emails... but not
publicly... there is actually a swap planned for Raleigh area gardeners on
April 29th. In Garner.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...425410865.html
Just in case people are interested.

Arwen