Old 07-08-2006, 03:44 PM posted to triangle.gardens
jan jan is offline

Default Help, figs fall when near-ripe

How about chocolate-dipped figs, and more?
California Figs has a booklet, also online:

http://www.californiafigs.com/recipes/index.html

Kira Dirlik wrote:

Suggestion: Talking about carmelized figs and calfoutis.... how
about some fig recipes? I tend to make only jam, or eat them fresh
off the tree.
Cheers,
Kira

Old 07-08-2006, 08:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Caramelized Figs

It's one of those things I've had in a restaurant and came up with a way
to do them myself. Sorry it's not more precise but like many people, I
eyeball things and am notoriously bad about not writing anything down.

melt 3 - 4 T butter and add 3 - 4 T sugar
cook until sugar is carmelized, toss in figs and cook until they are hot
and coated with caramel.

When I first started doing this, it was way before there was such a
thing as the WWW to search for recipes such as this.

from epicurious:

figs trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw or packed light
brown sugar, forced through a sieve
place figs, cut side up in flame proof dish, Sprinkle sugar evenly over
fruit and broil 2 to 3 inches from heat until most of sugar is melted
and deep golden in places, 3 to 5 minutes.

Anyway you do it, served over ice cream is to die for. Unfortunately,
they rarely make it to dessert if we're having pork tenderloin.

--
Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu