Old 29-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Me & my mulch.........

Well, I finally broke down & ordered up some mulch......I'd been resisting
the purchase out of sheer laziness, I guess -- after all, there's nothing
more reproachful than a pile of mulch waiting for some attention (unless
it's the plants that benefit from getting some of the above-mentioned
mulch).

In any event, if anyone in the NE Raleigh area is interested, here's the
info on the stuff I got from Bradsher's (the "giant" on 401):

6 cu. yds. triple shredded* hardwood mulch, delivered:
$140

*they used to carry both, double-shredded & triple-shredded, but it was
apparently not cost-effective to sort out the two mulches.

R. L. Bradsher: 872-5174

Note: I have no interest whatsoever in the Bradsher business, although I
confess that I did think of asking the nice woman driving the dump truck if
she might have any tips for me, as I find it nearly impossible to back up
our little Chevy S-10 in a straight line!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 29-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Baine Carruthers

Laurie

Do you ever have a problem using hardwood with fungi? Seems like this group
had a thread in the past on such.

--
Baine

. com...

Old 30-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Anne Lurie wrote:
Well, I finally broke down & ordered up some mulch......I'd been resisting

Aside from the obvious benefit of having it delivered, what's the difference between mulch
from a private company versus mulch from say Chapel Hill or Raleigh solid waste services?

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"New Zealand is the Carrboro of the world." -- TJ
Old 30-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Baine,

I've noticed mushrooms in the mulch occasionally, mostly in the rose bed on
the clay soil that was brought in when the addition to my house was built
(as opposed to the sandy soil that I have everywhere else).

Anne Lurie

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
Laurie

Do you ever have a problem using hardwood with fungi? Seems like this

group
had a thread in the past on such.

--
Baine

. com...

Old 30-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Anne Lurie

KJ,

I don't know about the difference between the mulch I get at Bradsher's and
what's available elsewhere -- this place is just closer to me. (I do
recall complaints posted to this newsgroup in the past about the "compost"
available from some public sources, as to the material not being really
suitable for composting. Also, I live in Wake County rather than Raleigh,
so I was not sure whether I could even get anything from the Raleigh
facility -- I'm fairly sure I'd have to pay a fee to take anything there.)

OTOH, I live practically on top of the Tree Debris Landfill, so I really
need to see if it will be selling mulch or compost anytime soon. (Based on
the dump trucks I see on their way there, it really is tree debris -- no
construction materials included.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Anne Lurie wrote:
I don't know about the difference between the mulch I get at Bradsher's and
what's available elsewhere -- this place is just closer to me. (I do

Gotcha, thanks.

suitable for composting. Also, I live in Wake County rather than Raleigh,
so I was not sure whether I could even get anything from the Raleigh
facility -- I'm fairly sure I'd have to pay a fee to take anything there.)

It's Wake County Solid Waste Services - but everyone has to pay a fee, regardless. (Although,
at $18/bucketload, IIRC, it's a pretty good deal.)

I got compost from there last year which did have some scattered plastic debris in it but not
much. The Orange County mulch was pretty good - my friend that works there says that since
most of it is construction mulch from debris/trees, and the construction guys come back and
reuse the mulch, they make sure the product is fairly clean.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Kelly, after checking out the Raleigh Yard Waste website
http://www.raleigh-nc.org/sws/ywctr.htm mentioned by a subsequent poster, I
thought of one difference, at least. Even though it may be only an
aesthetic difference: although the mulch I got from Bradsher's is labelled
"triple shredded hardwood mulch," my understanding is that it is *bark* --
and that makes a big difference in the way it looks. The stuff starts out
dark brown and stays dark brown until it disintegrates. According to the
website above, the wood chips are made from ground-up oak pallets. I
believe that I've read in the past that the stuff starts out looking okay,
but can get rather disgusting-looking after it's exposed to the elements.

I think there may also be a difference in the way the wood chips interact
with the soil, similar to the reason for not using fresh sawdust for
ulch -- naturally, I can't remember why you're not supposed to use
sawdust, but it never mattered to me since I was unlikely to find myself
with a lot of it around!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Kelly Garner" wrote

Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Arwen Long

sawdust has way more carbon than nitrogen so you have to add lots & lots
of nitrogen or else you risk running out...

something like that, anyway, according to the 30-sec google peek. (or
should i just pretend like i'm a garden guru? my irises look absolutely
gorgeous...)

arwen