Old 13-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Fran Wagstaff

Default Propogating Azaleas

I have a huge Azalea which was a resident at my home when we purchased
it 9 years ago. It has always been beautiful, until this year. I've
never trimmed, fertilized or anything. It seemed to take care of
itself.
The Azalea is still flourishing, but it really needs to be trimmed
back. Now is the time, according to my dear aunt Betty. She failed to
tell me, however, how to root the cuttings. Would I simply place these
in pots until they take hold, or should I root in water first?
I have a vision of a line of Azaelas along the back of my property.
And, if all the cuttings do well, I can have that by trimming this one
plant! All suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 13-05-2003, 06:20 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Fran Wagstaff wrote:

back. Now is the time, according to my dear aunt Betty. She failed to
tell me, however, how to root the cuttings. Would I simply place these
in pots until they take hold, or should I root in water first?

Can't imagine water will do the trick. I'd suggest dipping the
cut ends (and trim some of the bark away to the green) into Rootone,
planting them in very moist soil. Covering with a baggie or breadbag so
that you can air them out for 5 minutes a day. In a month, they may have
established roots.

cl, who swears he can root telephone poles with Rootone
Old 13-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Beth Peace

Fran Wagstaff wrote:

The Azalea is still flourishing, but it really needs to be trimmed
back. Now is the time, according to my dear aunt Betty. She failed to
tell me, however, how to root the cuttings. Would I simply place these
in pots until they take hold, or should I root in water first?

My method is not to cut, but to hold a branch down on the dirt with a brick
or rock until roots form. Then I can cut it off it's "Mom" and plant it
elsewhere. Takes time, but it works.

Old 13-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Fran,

There's info on propagating azaleas at
http://www.ahs.org/publications/the_...f/0209/GIS.pdf (a
PDF file, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat). This site says that late summer or
fall is the time to propagate azaleas; now is the traditional time for
pruning & fertilizing them, right after they bloom.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

m...

Old 13-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Baine Carruthers

Propagation by cuttings is usually done in July on new growth just beginning
to harden. Probably Anne's resource has more.

--
Baine