Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
k brow

Default Rabbits

Does anyone know of a natural deterrent to keep rabbits out of my flower
garden? My purple coneflowers are dwindling daily.
Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Tomatolord

cats and blood meal (sold at lowes etc just sprinkle around the plants)
and
Stews

tomatolord

m...

Old 10-06-2003, 08:56 PM

In article , k brow wrote:
Does anyone know of a natural deterrent to keep rabbits out of my flower
garden? My purple coneflowers are dwindling daily.
Thanks in advance.
Kathy

The only proven one is two foot tall chicken wire one inch mesh. But
that will look kind of tacky in some places. Sure works in the
vegetable garden though.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 10-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Penny Morgan

You can try surrounding the area with Blood Meal, but you have to replenish
it after rain washes the scent. With the amount of rain lately, I'm afraid
you'd be out there constantly. Another solution might be trying some
products that you spray on the plants to repel them or they may dislike in
flavor. I just applied some Bulb Guard made by Deer Off to some petunias
that were in danger of disappearing because of bunnies. It lasts for a
couple of months and then you have to reapply. I know there are other
products out there, but none of these are natural. Do you have a dog or
cat? Their scent may repel them too. Although, many of my customers in
Preston have dogs and the bunnies are still not deterred. They have an
overabundence of brave bunnies that will chew just about anything they find.
Check out a hardware store and read some labels. Most of the products are
scent or taste activated, and not poisonous to bunnies, if that's what
you're worried about. Good luck.

Penny
Flowers By The Yard
m...

Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 AM
MAC

I picked up some 2-foot welded wire fencing at Lowe's (I believe it was)
that's covered in green vinyl. It blends in well with the landscape and
you can surround large areas with it. So far it's working fine.

MAC

Old 11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Bill

I've had good success with cayan pepper placed around the border of my
hosta garden. My understanding is that rabbits smell along the ground.
They do not like the smell of the cayan pepper and hop the other way.
Sam's Club has giant size bottles for a reasonable price.

Bill

Old 11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Charles Lanier

A crazy solution that has worked with deer and rabbits in our garden is to
sprinkle human hair around your plants. Whenever I go get my hair cut I ask
my friend who owns the salon to give me a bag full of the clippings she
sweeps up. I sprinkle a little around each of my plants and add to it
whenver the rain washes the scent away. Best of all, it is non toxic and it
turns into bone meal which is good for the plants.

m...

Old 14-06-2003, 09:56 PM
mark

k brow wrote:

Does anyone know of a natural deterrent to keep rabbits out of my flower
garden? My purple coneflowers are dwindling daily.
Thanks in advance.
Kathy

I heard that plastic netting on the ground works well. Apparently the
rodents don't like getting there feet caught in it. It does not captuer
them. They just don't like it. I have seen some places in RTP use it to
protect their pansies. My cat does a pretty good job of keeping them
away. I just she would not bring them into the house. Call me Mr.
McGreggor. ;-)
Mark

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM