Old 18-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Free glads (photo attached)

Elizabeth, I have just one question: Will glads thrive when planted this
close together (see photo), as long as I'm willing to dig them up in the
fall?? I thought they needed lots of individual space, but I'd be much more
willing to deal with them if I could get away with putting them in beds!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi,

Anyone who would like 5-6 dozen or so gladiolus bulbs and assorted other
bulbs (separate and with labels), please send your mailing address offline
and I will mail them to you. I don't have room for them this year. They

grow
up to 5' tall and need staking but make spectacular cut flowers (see

photo).
They were dug up last fall and stored in a dark, cool place.

Elizabeth

Old 19-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Elizabeth

Hi Anne,

When I first bought them from Dutch Gardens, they came with instructions to
plant 6" apart. I put them in my front flower bed, and they fell all over
the place and looked horrible. The next couple years, I dug them up and
replanted them in one of my raised beds, as shown in the photo. They were
spaced only 3" apart and probably 8"-10" deep. Not only did they do just
fine, but they didn't fall over as much. Plus, the dying foliage looks kind
of bad when in the front yard in plain sight. And they like water, and I
have irrigation in the beds but not the front yard. IMO, glads are best for
cut flowers.

E.

. com...