Old 27-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Elizabeth

Default Thoughts of larceny

Hi all,

I'm looking for a large rock to start a rock garden with. I'm thinking about
a foot or so in diameter. I really don't want to go out and buy a rock. It
would be neat if I could find a nice smooth, roundish, interesting one
somewhere. Any ideas as to where I might get one free? I've started scoping
out construction sites, but so far haven't found a big enough rock. Plus,
sometimes it seems I might be trespassing or... ulp... even stealing, so I
have been hesitant. I'm in the Cary/Raleigh area.

E.

Old 28-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Tomatolord

Just stop by when they crew is actually there, I built 3 stonewalls this
way - they were hauling the stone away as fast as they could and told me
"take as much as you want" - most sites either just bury the stone or haul
it away to landfills, quarries wont take it

The issue for you is really going to be the weight of the stone, if you
could borrow a trailer that can tilt than you might have a chance of pulling
it up onto the trailer with a winch
or
you might get 2-3 friends and set up a strap system to lift it.

tomatolord

arthlink.net...

Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 PM

In article , Tomatolord wrote:
Just stop by when they crew is actually there, I built 3 stonewalls this
way - they were hauling the stone away as fast as they could and told me
"take as much as you want" - most sites either just bury the stone or haul
it away to landfills, quarries wont take it

The issue for you is really going to be the weight of the stone, if you
could borrow a trailer that can tilt than you might have a chance of pulling
it up onto the trailer with a winch
or
you might get 2-3 friends and set up a strap system to lift it.

I acquired some from a cabling operation along side davis drive in RTP a
couple years ago. They had a big dig and lots of dirt and rocks had
rolled right down to the shoulder. They were going to have to clean it
up and seed and restraw so these basket ball sized ones would have been
in the way. Fortunately I picked them up on a sunday afternoon when
traffic was light to non existent. I suppose technically I was stealing

What I found out later was that a few of them were not rocks but really
dense clay. They have gone thru two freeze cycles and are flaking up.
Others that looked identical at the time are solid rock.

tomatolord

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC
Smile Rock hound buddy?

Elizabeth,

I have a commercial strength hand truck (those dollies that movers use), and would be glad to join you on a rock-hunting excursion to construction sites in the area, if you'd like the help and company. I also am looking for garden rocks, mostly of the smaller variety, but never thought of the construction site solution that Tomatolord suggested...I also have a station wagon that we could use. Email me if you'd like this.
Kathie, Durham
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 03-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Elizabeth

Gosh, that is really nice. This newsgroup has some amazingly nice people in
it! I'll have to take a pass on the offer, though. Some other projects crept
up on me, so I'll have to postpone my rock garden until spring. Good luck!

--
Kathie

News==----

Newsgroups