Old 18-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Siouxzi

Default WANTED: Muscadine vines!

Wow, yesterday I came upon a couple of muscadine vines with huge,
purple-black, delicious fruit. Now I want to rip up the scuppers I've
got in my garden (OK, but not great) and plant these instead.

But where can I get some ready-to-plant vines? Or could I grow one
from a cutting of the plants that I found? I am inexperienced in
growing plants from cuttings...

I've heard you really need a pair for cross-pollination. True?

Help would be appreciated.

Sue
Old 01-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Dwayne

Yes to both. I would start them off in February, but dont rip up the ones
in the garden until these get started. I know a man who started all of his,
but his favorite method was to lay a vine on the ground and cover several of
the "buds" with dirt. He would leave enough space between the dirt piles to
give him plenty of room (18 to 24 inches). Then in Oct, he would cut them
in the appropriate places, dig up the hills of dirt, which had all produced
roots, and replant them in his garden.

Have fun. Dwayne

news

Old 01-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Siouxzi

OK, so what I do is wait until February to go and pilfer--I mean ask
the owner for--a cutting from each of the two vines I saw and plant
them as you describe ?

Or can I plant them now?
Thanks, Dwayne--I was beginning to despair of getting an answer. These
are really *great* muscadines and I want them!

Sue

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:41:31 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

Yes to both. I would start them off in February, but dont rip up the ones
in the garden until these get started. I know a man who started all of his,
but his favorite method was to lay a vine on the ground and cover several of
the "buds" with dirt. He would leave enough space between the dirt piles to
give him plenty of room (18 to 24 inches). Then in Oct, he would cut them
in the appropriate places, dig up the hills of dirt, which had all produced
roots, and replant them in his garden.

Have fun. Dwayne

news

Old 02-10-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

It is best to do it when they are dormant. They don't "bleed" as much. You
can try doing some now, but don't use the green vines, but the brown ones.
They are at least a year old. Then when you do, if you are going to use
cuttings, cut each one so it has 4 buds on it. Plant it with two buds in
the ground and two out of the ground. I put mine in planting pots in
February, set them under trees so they would get morning sun, but none of
the hot afternoon sun. Then those that were still alive, transplant into
the ground in October.

Be sure and keep them watered during the summer and winter months. Out of
20 that I planted one Feb, two lived. Hope you do better. Oh yes, you
might leave one or two of the existing plants you have for pollinators. If
you want any more information on them send me your e-mail address. I have
planting and fertilization information as an attachment.

Dwayne

"Siouxzi" wrote in message
[...]

"Siouxzi" wrote in message
news
Wow, yesterday I came upon a couple of muscadine vines with huge,
purple-black, delicious fruit. Now I want to rip up the scuppers I've
got in my garden (OK, but not great) and plant these instead.

But where can I get some ready-to-plant vines? Or could I grow one
from a cutting of the plants that I found? I am inexperienced in
growing plants from cuttings...

I've heard you really need a pair for cross-pollination. True?

Help would be appreciated.

Sue

Pictures of Wild Muscadine Grapes near Congaree River in Columbia, SC Zarlot531 Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2008 03:59 AM
Muscadine Grape Vine - Noble PURPLE and Carlos BRONZE [email protected] Gardening 0 23-07-2006 10:33 PM
Muscadine prunning Bill Orr Edible Gardening 5 03-01-2005 01:53 PM
muscadine vine Bill Orr Gardening 0 01-01-2005 04:25 PM
MUSCADINE GRAPE VINES jojo Texas 1 23-06-2004 08:09 PM