Old 01-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Bill Orr

Default Muscadine prunning

I drastically pruned my muscadine vine back so that there are only short stumps
on the main trunk. It had grown out of control with a mass of small tangled
vines. Will it grow back? Is it true that new muscadines only come of new
growth?

Bill Orr

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~billbernice1/
Includes "Poems of the Sea"

Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Katra

In article t,
"Bill Orr" wrote:

I drastically pruned my muscadine vine back so that there are only short
stumps
on the main trunk. It had grown out of control with a mass of small tangled
vines. Will it grow back? Is it true that new muscadines only come of new
growth?

Bill Orr

Don't worry about it...
By mid-summer next year, it'll look like you've never pruned it. ;-)
Mine are taking over both mine and my neighbors yard! I pruned mine back
last summer when they tried to take over the lawn.

You have probably done very little harm.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Dwayne

Find out how to prune grapes/muscadines the right way. What you did is OK,
but you will increase your crop size if you prune them right.

You don't say where your are, but when we lived in AR the county extension
had printed literature to give out that showed you how. I also visited a
man who grew them in his yard and he taught me a lot from his patch.

What I would do now with your plants, is put up a line on fence posts over
your plant (s) now (unless you already have one), and in the spring train
one main sprout to go to the top of your fence ( approx 6 ft high). Then
start it growing both directions on the fence. I would also have a second
fence about 3 ft high, and start sprouts each direction at that level. Let
each of these 4 sprouts grow to about 6 ft long each, then prune off the
ends.

Send me your e-mail address and I will send your my instructions on planting
and caring for muscadines

Dwayne

k.net...

Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Bill Orr

"Dwayne" wrote in message
[...]

**
Thanks, Dwayne. I never turn down good advice. My email address is below. I
live on the Gulf Coast.

Bill Orr

Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Bill Orr

"Dwayne" wrote in message
[...]

Pictures of Wild Muscadine Grapes near Congaree River in Columbia, SC Zarlot531 Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2008 03:59 AM
Muscadine Grape Vine - Noble PURPLE and Carlos BRONZE [email protected] Gardening 0 23-07-2006 10:33 PM
muscadine vine Bill Orr Gardening 0 01-01-2005 04:25 PM
MUSCADINE GRAPE VINES jojo Texas 1 23-06-2004 08:09 PM
WANTED: Muscadine vines! Siouxzi North Carolina 3 02-10-2003 04:08 AM