Old 02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Raleighgirl

Default most satisfactory plants

I'm always interested in plants that people have in their gardens
that are very satisfactory. I'm not looking for plants that need
alot of TLC. I mean the ones that pretty much grow on their own
without extra care. For example, at the top of my list would be
spiderworts. They bloom for months if deadheaded occasionally.
The blooms are nice colors- blues, pinks and purples. They
spread slowly. The greenery ranges from dark to chartreuse.
Cleome would have to be my favorite annual. Lovely, showy
flowers that bloom for months. Colors range from dark pink to
white. Tanzy is my favorite border filler.

For shade lovers, the most satisfactory would be hellebores.
Marcy introduced me to them. They make absolutely no demands.
They grow in 75% shade, bloom in late winter just when you need a
little boost and don't seem to get too large (so far at least).

So, what's on your list?
Jenny

Old 03-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Marcy Hege

Thanks for the comment on the hellebores...They deal with dry, don't need
pruning, seed around a bit and the blooms in winter are wonderful!

Right now, I'm beginning to think of heucheras and tiarellas as a favorite.
Bloom season is now but for the heucheras, it's not all that spectacular. The
foliage stays around all year and with the burgundies of many of the heucheras,
it's wonderful in winter.

Also, can't leave out green-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia Herbstonne). They grow 5-6
feet tall but are sturdy enough not to need staking (however, a really hard
downpour when they're in bloom does knock them down.)

Where's everyone else's favorites?

Marcy
Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Lynne in NC

Old Roses: David Austen's Heritage (just about the most beautiful pale
pink cupped flowers imaginable, with wonderful fragrance. Worth a
little effort to kick the beetles off of the tender leaves!); Blanc
Double de Coubert (very hardy and fragrant white rugosa. Beetles have
no chance with its tough leaves)

Shade Plants: Astilbes (I just moved one on a rather hot day and it
didn't even notice. The dried plumes are nice winter interest, too)

Wildflowers: Meadow Rue, Baptisia, Carolina Bush Pea, Solomon's Seal,
Climbing Aster

Lynne in Orange County
Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Anne Lurie

Lynne,

Where did you get your "Blanc Double de Coubert"?

I just returned from visiting a friend who bought Blanc, and I decided I
really want one, but don't know where to find it in the Triangle.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 05-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Lynne in NC

Where did you get your "Blanc Double de Coubert"?

I just returned from visiting a friend who bought Blanc, and I decided I
really want one, but don't know where to find it in the Triangle.

I'm pretty sure I ordered it from the Antique Rose Emporium in
Brenham, Texas, a great source of old southern roses:
http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/

I think I might have seen one at some point at Reba and Roses in
Hillsborough
( http://www.rebaandroses.com/ )

Lynne in Orange County