Old 04-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Margaret Lillard

Default Damaged azaleas

Hi all:

I've had my first house for a couple of years and just had it
power-washed. Unfortunately, I didn't think I'd need to protect the
plants next to the house (at the moment, there aren't many anyhow). I
have four azalea bushes along my front porch that were just in full
bloom the day this washing was done. I didn't realize they had gotten
doused until that evening, by which time the damage was done.

They're all a little damaged, one in particular. Specifically, they look
burned. The blooms turned all brown around the edges and died off, and
the leaves on the upper parts of the plant are brown on the edges to
downright dead-looking.

The plants have been washed off, but is there anything else I should do?
Cut away the very brown bits, or just leave it alone and remember to put
a tarp over them next time?

Thanks

MAL
Old 08-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Anne Lurie

My apologies, Margaret, I thought someone would have answered your question
by now.

My advice would be to cut off the brown (die-back) parts a bit at a time,
until you get to live (green) wood.

In the future, covering the plants with a tarp might be a good idea. If
that is not feasible, wet down the plants well before power washing is done.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Margaret Lillard

Thanks, Anne.

Yeah, had I been there to see the guys I would have leapt to the fore
with tarp. It just didn't occur to me beforehand, since I've never had
the house power-washed before.

Since the damaged blooms and leaves have fallen, it doesn't look like
the shrubs are in as bad a condition as I thought. Another panic attack
averted ...

MAL