Old 23-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Post Where?

Does anyone know where to get 50 to 55 gallon drums for relatively cheap or free? I want to make my own rain barrels and have heard that there are places that use them, and need to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

Also, I am planning on landscaping my yard, but have no idea where to begin, as I am not a professional. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I live in Raleigh.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 23-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Donna Maroni

Does anyone know where to get 50 to 55 gallon drums for relatively cheap

Try Mt. Olive Pickle Company; you know, the one at Cucumber and Vine...

http://www.mtolivepickles.com/ContactUs.html

Landscape plans: maybe you would profit from a garden designer's
suggestions. Ask for recommendations at you favorite garden center, then
be sure to go see some of the designers' work, inquire of the owner about
final costs, etc.

Old 23-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

I don't know about the drums.

On landscaping, start with a couple of books. "Landscaping for Dummies"
(I'm sure such a title exists!), or visit the Agricultural Extension
Service. Home Depot and Lowe's both have good selections. Or go to the
Wake Public Library and get the most dog-eared one.

Depending on what you are doing, you may want to engage a landscape
architect (many landscapers and nurseries offer this service). It's not
free, but it's one of the quickest ways to know what will and will not work
here in the triangle.

If you can wait 3 weeks, go to the NC State Fair and talk to the Master
Gardeners. It will be a very well spent $6.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

--
KSFeeman

Old 25-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Robert Gray

There is a fellow who gets them from work and then sells them pretty
cheaply. Here is one of his posts from google groups:
-------------
Hard plastic 50 gallon drums (just like the steel ones). Used, but clean.

$10.00 ea. --- Compare at "Grainger" for 456.00 ea

Jeff (Fuquay)
567-2048
Pluker4 )
--------------
Good luck,
Robert

Old 26-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Anne Lurie

I have just one caveat -- if you are planning to use the rain barrels to
water vegetables or other food crops, I encourage you to get "food grade"
barrels.

My only experience with such barrels was an attempt to make a
tumbler-composter -- getting food-grade barrels was actually the simple
part! (The instructions & parts list seemed too challenging, so I just
bought a compost-tumbler on sale for $99.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

om...

Old 27-09-2004, 05:49 PM

On 2004-09-26, Anne Lurie wrote:
I have just one caveat -- if you are planning to use the rain barrels to
water vegetables or other food crops, I encourage you to get "food grade"
barrels.

My only experience with such barrels was an attempt to make a
tumbler-composter -- getting food-grade barrels was actually the simple
part! (The instructions & parts list seemed too challenging, so I just
bought a compost-tumbler on sale for $99.)

If you just plan to use them to water the garden, just filling them with
soapy water and leaving them sit in the sun for a few days will get most
residue out. Years ago I got 2.5 gallon herbicide jugs from my brother
and did that. I used them them to irrigate tomatoes with no problem.

I don't think I would buy any barrel where I did not know what was in it
previously though.

"KSFeeman" wrote in message

Does anyone know where to get 50 to 55 gallon drums for relatively cheap
or free? I want to make my own rain barrels and have heard that there
are places that use them, and need to get rid of them. Any
suggestions?

Also, I am planning on landscaping my yard, but have no idea where to
begin, as I am not a professional. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I live in Raleigh.

Thanks!

Kevin

--