Old 19-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Jo

Default Hostas, not the ones in Europe

Is there a place to get them local. Someone once mentioned a Hosta farm
and I am trying to locate one.
I'm in Garner.

Jo

Old 19-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Jared Richardson

"Jo" wrote in message
. com...
Is there a place to get them local. Someone once mentioned a Hosta farm
and I am trying to locate one.
I'm in Garner.

Jo

http://www.plantdelights.com/

Tony Avent's shop isn't too far up the road from Garner. He's got everything
under the sun... I'm not sure about when they are open for "walk in"
business though.

Old 19-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Beth Peace

Jo wrote:
Is there a place to get them local. Someone once mentioned a Hosta
farm and I am trying to locate one.
I'm in Garner.

I wouldn't call it a Hosta farm, but Plant Delights
(http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page43.html) has a TON of
Hosta varieties. They're in Juniper Level
(http://www.plantdelights.com/About/directions.html), and have a few open
houses each year (http://www.plantdelights.com/About/openhouse.html) as well
as their catalog sales. NOT CHEAP, but I can vouch for their healthy
plants.

Old 19-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Jo

Thank you Beth & Jared!

Jo

Old 20-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Craig Watts

Jo wrote:
Thank you Beth & Jared!

Jo

Plants Delight is off of Sauls Road. I do a ton of office equipment for
them. They mainly focus their business on Internet ordering and mail
ordering. As mentioned they do 2 open houses a year. But I still think
they prefer to ship/order through the brown truck.

Craig

Old 20-03-2005, 12:35 AM

In last issue of Horticulture magazine I found information about Hosta
farm. They have a really good deal for their Hostas with free shipping
if you order until 6/1/05. You can get 25 plants for $35 or 100 plants
for $100. The web address is
http://gilberthwild.com/list_products.asp?catId=1002 or
http://www.gilberthwild.com

Hope it helps.

Genya.

Old 20-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Jo

I don't mind ordering online. I am only allowed up for an hour or two at a
time, so online wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Thanks for the info Craig.

Jo

Old 20-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC

Jo,
There is an amazing Hosta nursery. called Plant Delights Nursery, just south of Raleigh. It is primarily mail-order, but is open to the public four or five times a year, and it is AMAZING! It is on 9241 Sauls Road, and their phone no. is 919-772-4794. Check the website for the dates when they will be open. They have more varieties of hostas than I have seen anywhere, and they are incredible, not cheap, but incredible. Go with a friend or two, and each buy some of everybody's favorites, then plant them and wait three years and divide them out for all to enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
Is there a place to get them local. Someone once mentioned a Hosta farm
and I am trying to locate one.
I'm in Garner.

Jo
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~

Old 20-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Jared Richardson wrote:

Tony Avent's shop isn't too far up the road from Garner. He's got everything
under the sun... I'm not sure about when they are open for "walk in"

My wife bought several hostas from him about 2 years ago;
they've done beautifully in the yard and look great.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Old 20-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Sorry, forget to tell more about their free shipping:
if you order by phone (1-888-449-4537 toll free) you should mentioned
Dept.H405H. Or in Horticulture magazine they have order form that you
can send by mail. For some reason I do not see free shipping in their
web site. But they provide address www.gilberthwild.com/hostahandful.
Hostas are cheap not because they are bad plants but because they are
not labeled (unnamed hostas). Each year they come up with many
mislabeleled plants in their field so they sell them cheap.

Genya

Jo wrote:
Thank you Genya.

Jo

oups.com...

Old 21-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Jo

Those would be perfect in the tree areas in the front and back yard for
filler.
Thanks a ton!

Jo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry, forget to tell more about their free shipping:
if you order by phone (1-888-449-4537 toll free) you should mentioned
Dept.H405H. Or in Horticulture magazine they have order form that you
can send by mail. For some reason I do not see free shipping in their
web site. But they provide address www.gilberthwild.com/hostahandful.
Hostas are cheap not because they are bad plants but because they are
not labeled (unnamed hostas). Each year they come up with many
mislabeleled plants in their field so they sell them cheap.

Genya

Jo wrote:
Thank you Genya.

Jo

oups.com...

Old 21-03-2005, 04:06 AM
fernvalley

If you want to check out hostas and consider Pittsboro local, go the
www.hostafarm.com. Their hostas are great and in general, less
expensive than Plants Delights. You can go just about any day of the
year (the website tells you if they are open or closed) as well as they
ship. Plants Delight has more "collector" type hostas; however, Hosta
Farm has many that you won't find in Lowes or Home Depot.

The Hosta Farm is located about a block off US 64, just west of
Pittsboro. Duck and Greta are very friendly. I've had good luck with
all the plants I've bought from them. (I think I have about 15
different varieties from Hosta Farm.)

Old 16-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC

Jo,
These is an incredible hosta supplier on Sauls Road, south of Raleigh, called Plant Delights Nursery. It is national catalogue supplier of an incredible number of hostas and other perennials. They are only open to the public on select weekends during the year. Check out their website, PDN.com. The next open house (where you can purchase plants) starts May 5th I believe. If you love hostas, you will be in hosta heaven!
Kathie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
Is there a place to get them local. Someone once mentioned a Hosta farm
and I am trying to locate one.
I'm in Garner.

Jo

Apple trees - a few big ones or a lot of little ones? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 04-04-2009 07:41 PM
Repeat Post re Hostas not blooming Jutta Gardening 13 05-08-2003 08:12 PM
Hostas not blooming! Jutta Gardening 2 28-07-2003 12:42 AM
[IBC] Stands in Bonsai Europe Len Arzoomanian , BonsaiRI Bonsai 6 27-06-2003 08:34 PM
US pulls back from food war with Europe Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 33 27-03-2003 11:08 AM