Old 27-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Gary Brown

Default Need advice on low-maintenance tomato plants

OK, I have multiple hobbies, little time but want to make use of a 16
x 2 foot full-sun garden spot along the south wall of a garage.
Already bought a few pumpkin and cucumber seeds and want to stuff a
couple tomato plants in the middle. In the past this plot has been
home many zinnias, tall gladiliolas. I regularly put ground up leaves
and an occasional bag of manure on the plot.

Ideas? Tomatoes need to taste good, too! ;-)

Thanks,
Gary
Old 27-04-2005, 12:22 PM

Gary Brown wrote:

Ideas? Tomatoes need to taste good, too! ;-)

I usually plant several varieties each year, but most of
my 'maters every year are the "Better Boy" variety. They
seem to do very well around here (RTP, NC) and produce
very well with minimal care.

Actually, this year I rushed into my gardening without much
forethought, and all but a couple of cherry tomatos are the
Better Boys. I've also got around 8 eggplants (Ichiban and
Black Beauty)--FAR more than usual. This may be the year
I finally learn to LIKE eggplant. :-/

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old 27-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Jared Richardson

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
OK, I have multiple hobbies, little time but want to make use of a 16
x 2 foot full-sun garden spot along the south wall of a garage.
Already bought a few pumpkin and cucumber seeds and want to stuff a
couple tomato plants in the middle. In the past this plot has been
home many zinnias, tall gladiliolas. I regularly put ground up leaves
and an occasional bag of manure on the plot.

Ideas? Tomatoes need to taste good, too! ;-)

Thanks,
Gary

I usually mix in the small cherry tomatoes w/my cucumbers and let them climb
the same trellis... Sweet Millions are good. The kids love to pick them off
the plants for snacks.

My wife and I are also big fans of German Johnson tomatoes... the fruit is
large and tastes great... the only downside is that the plants get 6 to 8
feet tall. You have to stake them pretty well, but that's all they really
need. I fertilize from time to time (when I remember to do it) but that's
all the maintenance they get.

Old 28-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Don S

In article , "Jared Richardson" wrote:
My wife and I are also big fans of German Johnson tomatoes... the fruit is
large and tastes great... the only downside is that the plants get 6 to 8
feet tall. You have to stake them pretty well, but that's all they really
need. I fertilize from time to time (when I remember to do it) but that's
all the maintenance they get.

As has been noted on the ng, concrete reinforcing wire makes excellent tomato
cages. I usually count ~15 squares to get a 3+ foot diameter cage. Cut with
bolt cutters, and have large slip joint or lineman pliers to bend.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Anne Lurie

Gary,

I suggest you look for "indeterminate" tomato plants which can be staked
successfully. Depending upon the garage wall, you might be able to get away
with tying the plants somehow to supports on the garage wall.

However, I'd be much more interested in how you restrained the pumpkins to a
2-foot wide space!!! (I confess I have never grown pumpkins, though!)

Keep us posted!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Jo

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
m...
Gary,

I suggest you look for "indeterminate" tomato plants which can be staked
successfully. Depending upon the garage wall, you might be able to get

away
with tying the plants somehow to supports on the garage wall.

However, I'd be much more interested in how you restrained the pumpkins

to a
2-foot wide space!!! (I confess I have never grown pumpkins, though!)

Keep us posted!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

I have had no success with pumpkins either would love to hear more on it
as well!

Jo