Old 30-12-2006, 12:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Thelmytria benthamiana 2

Thelmytria benthamiana 2
One of the late blooming species of sun orchids.
Peter

--
)

Attached Thumbnails
Thelmytria benthamiana 2-thelmytria-benthamiana-2.jpg   Thelmytria benthamiana 2-thelmytria-benthamiana-3.jpg   Thelmytria benthamiana 2-thelmytria-benthamiana-7.jpg
Old 30-12-2006, 01:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice series Peter.

Didn't notice you taking the photo of Varigosus johannus!

Did you notice the grasshopper in Thel. benthamiana 3? Never ceases to
amaze me what you find when the photos are seen on the "big screen". And as
for the fly laying an maggot on the flower - quite shot.

Your series reminds me that I will have to name my photos of this trip. You
have saved me a lot of work in getting the names right.

Cheers

John

news

Old 30-12-2006, 01:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I agree. Excellent series, Peter.

It's also nice to put a face on a name, John.

A tip I learned a long time ago for "field shooting" (although it's a good
general practice) - keep a pen and small notebook handy. If your camera
numbers the shots, you can cross-reference that with the plant name and any
other notes (like where they were, for example). Even if it doesn't, you
have the sequence. Back in the days of film and the long processing time,
relatively speaking, it was far more important.

m...

Old 30-12-2006, 01:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ah, I was photographing the orchids only, John. Cant help it if people
choose to provide a backdrop.
The grasshopper first caught my attention on the computer also. I guess when
photographing, we only view the target through the 2.5 inch LCD screen. Tis
not easy to pick up on the micro-organisms present, on the small screen. It
all happens when finally on the 19'' pc monitor.
Peter

--
)

Old 01-01-2007, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

One thing I dislike about the Sony DSLR is that you can't add voice notes to
the picture like you can on so many other digital cameras. It's not like
there isn't room for a microphone in a DSLR body. I use that feature all
the time on my older digital camera.
-danny

Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray,

I go one step further - if there is a tag on the plant, I photograph the tag
immediately after the plant. If there's no tag, then I scribble something in
a notebook and photograph that after the plant. Then I have the info with
the photo and I have it in 'backup' on the notebook.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org
\

Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Peter,

This is my favorite. It has similiar patterns and colors to several
Odontoglossum species but with that characteristic Thelmytria shape.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Eric

This works well in principal, except when you visit somewhere like Hanging
Gardens or Atlanta Botanic Gardens and get so excited with the plethora of
different species in flower that you occasionally forget that all important
photograph of the label!

That's when I resort to my friends such as you, Danny, Ron Parsons etc, etc.
This resource is almost as good as a label.

Cheers

John

Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

These are more interesting sun orchids, distinct from other thelymitras
through their speckled appearances and late season.
Peter

--
)
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Peter,

This is my favorite. It has similiar patterns and colors to several
Odontoglossum species but with that characteristic Thelmytria shape.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Rate This Thread: