Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Epidendrum medusae

There have been a lot of hybrids posted on ABPO during the last few weeks so
I thought I'd post a few species photos from the last Orchid Species Society
of Victoria meeting here in Melbourne.

This is a lovely Epidendrum (also known as Nanodes medusae) from Ecuador. I
just love that frilly lip.
~John

Attached Thumbnails
Epidendrum medusae-epidendrum-medusae.jpg
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 01:08:27 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

There have been a lot of hybrids posted on ABPO during the last few weeks so
I thought I'd post a few species photos from the last Orchid Species Society
of Victoria meeting here in Melbourne.

This is a lovely Epidendrum (also known as Nanodes medusae) from Ecuador. I
just love that frilly lip.
~John

Love the close-up. So often we see the 'raft' of this. It is a
delightful lip. Now who can hybridize it out on something bigger...

I know John that is a not allowed word. But that lip is a temptation
for someone who can only dream of making something with it.
SuE
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

wrote:

There have been a lot of hybrids posted on ABPO during the last few weeks
so
I thought I'd post a few species photos from the last Orchid Species
Society
of Victoria meeting here in Melbourne.

This is a lovely Epidendrum (also known as Nanodes medusae) from Ecuador.
just love that frilly lip.
~John

Love the close-up. So often we see the 'raft' of this. It is a
delightful lip. Now who can hybridize it out on something bigger...

I know John that is a not allowed word. But that lip is a temptation
for someone who can only dream of making something with it.
SuE

Heh, put it on Rhy digbyana...

K Barrett

Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:42:31 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:
--------------------
for someone who can only dream of making something with it.
SuE

Heh, put it on Rhy digbyana...

K Barrett

You just want someone to make digbyana a more reliable acquiescent
bloomer.
SuE
Old 08-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

news
wrote:
--------------------
for someone who can only dream of making something with it.
SuE

Heh, put it on Rhy digbyana...

K Barrett

You just want someone to make digbyana a more reliable acquiescent
bloomer.
SuE

Just found out last night that this is n assignment at the CSNJC, to come up
with a primary hybrid that no one's done before... Looks like I've
inadvertantly got mine! LOL!! (I just hope the chromosomes match...)

Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Now, now SuE, I don't mind hybrids - just not in my collection. I have to
admit I do have a few hybrids - mainly phalaenopsis that my mother has
bought. She has realised that they are better value than cut flowers. She
even now knows not to cut off the old flower spike as it may rebloom. Once
they finish flowering she brings them over for me to "phally sit" until the
next flowering when she reclaims them.

Cheers

John

Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Does this mean that you have to actually make the cross and then germinate
the seeds. At what stage does the assignment finish? Flowering? This could
be one heck of a long project.

Or just show from chromosome counts and genetics that the cross is feasible?

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
news
--------------------

Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nono, its just an excercise. Of course one never knows what actually will
occur in making a hybrid, but the idea is to teach you something about
genetics and for other judges/breeders to share their knowledge by telling
you what an idiot you are for thinking a cross like the one you speculate on
would ever turn out well. *G*!

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Does this mean that you have to actually make the cross and then germinate
the seeds. At what stage does the assignment finish? Flowering? This
could be one heck of a long project.

Or just show from chromosome counts and genetics that the cross is
feasible?

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
news
--------------------

Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I did hear somewhere that cross genus breeding (orchidaceous) has been
successfully done. This was done by cutting the stamen tip off one genus
followed by application of the pollen of the second genus to the remaining
tipless stamen. Cant tell you much more than that. Don't know of the success
rate either. So you can give that a try, Karen. Perhaps publish your results
down the track!
John might send the medusae pollen!
Peter (am taking flight - to the head-hunter jungles)

--
)

Old 09-03-2007, 05:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

And please take a picture of one of those "wild' women. *g* Cheers Wendy

wrote:

There have been a lot of hybrids posted on ABPO during the last few
weeks so
I thought I'd post a few species photos from the last Orchid Species
Society
of Victoria meeting here in Melbourne.

This is a lovely Epidendrum (also known as Nanodes medusae) from
Ecuador. I
just love that frilly lip.
~John

Love the close-up. So often we see the 'raft' of this. It is a
delightful lip. Now who can hybridize it out on something bigger...

I know John that is a not allowed word. But that lip is a temptation
for someone who can only dream of making something with it.
SuE

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Nanodes medusae - different color form tennis maynard Orchid Photos 0 14-12-2006 06:12 PM
Nanodes medusae X 2 P Max Orchid Photos 1 14-12-2006 01:00 PM
Bulb medusae V_coerulea Orchid Photos 3 08-12-2006 11:29 PM
Astrophytum caput-medusae Klaus Dorfmann United Kingdom 4 22-09-2003 04:03 PM
Astrophytum caput-medusae Klaus Dorfmann Gardening 4 22-09-2003 04:02 PM