Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Epidendrum ciliare

And my wife says I have NO patiences! I bought this in late 80s from a florist in NJ, on a wooden plack. It went to FLorida with me in 98. It has been repoted in various mediums to get it to grow and bloom. A couple of years ago I put it in a basket and placed it high in the lanei. and after nearly 20 years it bloomed for the first time.

I regularly remind my wife of the tremendous patience I have (A photo of it is on the end table where my wife sits)

Roy

ps: I am not sure if the name is right. If anyone has a better id please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Epidendrum ciliare-dsc_0028.jpg
Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Congratulations with your victory. 20 Years is a long time, but you won
from the plants stubborness.

It is difficult to determine from the picture since it is not quite
sharp, but I think that it is not Epid. ciliare, but Epidendrum
oerstedii. That is a close relative that lacks the strongly fimbriated
lip of Epid. ciliare and has a bit more sturdy flowers.
You might want to compare with the pictures in Jay Pfahl's encyclopedia:
Epidendrum oerstedii: http://www.orchidspecies.com/coiloerstedii.htm
Epidendrum cilia http://www.orchidspecies.com/coilciliaris.htm

By the way, the names have changed a few times during the last twenty
years ;-) Nowadays it should be called Coilostylis...

Greets, Niek

Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Roy, I agree with Niek, the ciliari has a fimbriated lip. I was also browsing Jay Pfahl's site & noticed the genus name
change was in 2004. I got stuck reading the reasons why!!!!! Quite sexy, I think. *g*
Cheers Wendy
"Roy" wrote in message ...
And my wife says I have NO patiences! I bought this in late 80s from a florist in NJ, on a wooden plack. It went to FLorida with me in 98. It has been repoted in various mediums to get it to grow and bloom. A couple of years ago I put it in a basket and placed it high in the lanei. and after nearly 20 years it bloomed for the first time.

I regularly remind my wife of the tremendous patience I have (A photo of it is on the end table where my wife sits)

Roy

ps: I am not sure if the name is right. If anyone has a better id please let me know.

Rate This Thread: