Old 14-03-2008, 06:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default It's slow & quiet here, so some more of the same!

Den. speciosum a little too bright but in full bloom now. The fragrance is
strong in the morning &
subsides after noon.
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
It's slow & quiet here, so some more of the same!-den-speciosum-198-01807.jpg

Old 14-03-2008, 11:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Gary,

Rod Venger gave me a 2" pot seedling about 10+ years ago.

I guarantee I'm not the greatest den grower, and it was basically ignored.
If it grew, great. If not, oh well. About 5 years ago it went into a 6"
basket that I hung up with the vandaceous plants.

It bloomed for the first time recently, 2 spikes on one 18"-20" growth, a
single spike on another.

Hope you're 1) better at growing them than I, and 2) patient.

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Den. speciosum a little too bright but in full bloom now. The fragrance
is
strong in the morning &
subsides after noon.
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
It's slow & quiet here, so some more of the same!-d_speciosum_plant.jpg
Old 14-03-2008, 12:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

By the way, it's obvious the poor thing needs repotting. Any suggestions on
what to do with it?

I don't want to go with a larger hanging basket, as the weight of the damned
thing will collapse the greenhouse structure! I was considering a non-S/H
use of PrimeAgra in a large plastic pot.

Old 15-03-2008, 09:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Ray, you're probably sick of my recommending Ross Harvey's Cedarvale website.
But Ross *does* grow outstanding speciosums. So have a look at
http://www.cedarvaleorchids.com/html...endrobium_.asp

That article is fairly general, covering most of the Dendrocoryne section of
genus Dendrobium. But it's certainly relevant to speciosumns & kingianums.

What Ross doesn't mention is that most of his larger speciosums (and they get
pretty big) are in big saucers, bowls or whatever you want to call them.

Any of the Victorian cohort want to add more?

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:53:55 GMT, "Ray B" wrote:

By the way, it's obvious the poor thing needs repotting. Any suggestions on
what to do with it?

I don't want to go with a larger hanging basket, as the weight of the damned
thing will collapse the greenhouse structure! I was considering a non-S/H
use of PrimeAgra in a large plastic pot.

Dave Gillingham

Old 15-03-2008, 12:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Don't apologize, Dave!

I've taken a look at most of the links you forwarded. (You trying to
convert me to a den grower?)

Old 15-03-2008, 02:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I know, he's even got me growing some and lusting for others. Like Den
Lynette Banks
http://www.sborchid.com/plantdisplay...code=XBO093143 I might have a
chance of seeing one bloom sometime in my life with a hybrid.

I have an xdelicatum that finally started to grow from a keiki I got from an
Aussie fellow OrchidSafarier about 10 yrs ago. (Probably about the same time
you got your speciosum from Venger.) Hmmm, come to think of it, I've not had
much luck with any of my Dens. (Probably the reason why I never wanted to
try them in the first place) All the rest periods, dry cool bright periods,
low N periods etc. Never wanted to keep it all straight. But enough of my
bellyaching.

Old 16-03-2008, 05:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:43:57 GMT, "Ray B" wrote:

Don't apologize, Dave!

I've taken a look at most of the links you forwarded. (You trying to
convert me to a den grower?)

Only Aussie Dens, Ray!
Dave Gillingham