Old 10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
PhalGuy

Default The pod fell off

Hello everyone!

This morning, the pod on the phal I pollinated last april just fell off.
It`s still green but starting turning yellow. the flower is still attached
but is black now!

Is the pod still good? Can it be save? how?

thanks

--
Claude

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Ray

In the first place, in orchids, it's a "capsule" not a pod.

If it has not split open it may still be OK for "green pod" culturing (don't
you just love the inconsistencies!), but as it spontaneously fell off, I'd
be concerned that there might not be any viable seed in it anyway.

In any case, I'd get it to a lab right away, before it does split. You
might get lucky.

news:1123703497.7a1a47b9b138299aec980ca1defc8ed2@t eranews...

Old 10-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Al

If I remember correctly, that was a yellow flowered hybrid with lots of
amboinensis in its background, so it should be, like, a 9 month pod...err
capsule....

3 to 4 months is a bit slim to expect any viable seed. But you never know.
I would offer one more hint, if the pod shriveled up before it fell off,
then it probably is gone, but if it is still firm maybe there is some seed
in it. Although I don't know why it would drop off if it is healthy. The
normal behavior for a healthy pod is to swell up, turn yellowish and split
open spilling it's seed everywhere (which is a sin, I think, according to
some literature) .

Of course, you could open it and look at what's inside under a microscope.
If you find seed, you can still flask it, you will have to sterilize it,
however, which is a bit more touchy than sterilizing the outside of the
green pod and then opening it up under a hood in sterile environment.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Mick Fournier

In 10 years of flasking I've never got to do one of 'dem fancy capsules...
all I get is those dam orchid seed pods. But golly gee the plants from the
seed pods always come out better looking than those plants from 'dem capsule
things.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com