Old 12-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Amber

Default Top of my plant 'fell off' vine weevils again?

I have had vine weevles this year. That was quite a few months ago now
and I thought I was on top of it. I had some new plants a few months
back and they have been kept away from other plants since they came
into the garden. I did repot them at least a month after purchase. A
few days ago I knocked one of the plants over and its top fell off,
ahhh more vine weevils? But I checked the pot and found one small grub
in there. Non of the other plants in that group seemed effected. I know
I have mealy bugs in the porch, which is the other side of the house
but people and animals can spread it yes? Could I have misdiagnosed the
vine weevils and its root mealy bugs?

Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Amber" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have had vine weevles this year. That was quite a few months ago now
and I thought I was on top of it. I had some new plants a few months
back and they have been kept away from other plants since they came
into the garden. I did repot them at least a month after purchase. A
few days ago I knocked one of the plants over and its top fell off,
ahhh more vine weevils? But I checked the pot and found one small grub
in there. Non of the other plants in that group seemed effected. I know
I have mealy bugs in the porch, which is the other side of the house
but people and animals can spread it yes? Could I have misdiagnosed the
vine weevils and its root mealy bugs?

You usually get a lot of white fluff in the compost with the root
aphid/mealy bug but I suspect there is nothing to say you cant have both

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Amber

So I would not get the root mealy without the normal mealy bug signs on
the top of the plant?

Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Amber" wrote in message
ups.com...
So I would not get the root mealy without the normal mealy bug signs on
the top of the plant?

No, they may be related but are quite separate things, knock the plants out
of the pots and you will see the little white patches on the out side of the
root ball, if you have it the best cure seems to be the compost containing
"Intercept" (which also treats Vine weevil) it won't have a lot of effect on
ordinary Mealy Bug. I think you can also apply it as a drench to the soil.
We struggled for years with it in our stock pots of scented leaved
pelargoniums but a single application of intercept and its gone for good.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Kay

In article . com, Amber
writes
I have had vine weevles this year. That was quite a few months ago now
and I thought I was on top of it. I had some new plants a few months
back and they have been kept away from other plants since they came
into the garden. I did repot them at least a month after purchase. A
few days ago I knocked one of the plants over and its top fell off,
ahhh more vine weevils? But I checked the pot and found one small grub
in there. Non of the other plants in that group seemed effected. I know
I have mealy bugs in the porch, which is the other side of the house
but people and animals can spread it yes? Could I have misdiagnosed the
vine weevils and its root mealy bugs?

They're not readily confused.
VW - 3-4 times as long as wide, very 'grub' shaped
RMB - oval, but you will recognise it by the large amount of white
fluffy stuff in the roots.
--
Kay

Old 12-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Amber

This is going to sound really stupid. But as I have had VW I saw a
small white grub like thing and just dumped it. I lost a load of
cacti/succulents and strawberrys last year and I just didn't want to
risk it. The last time I had VW there were a mix of the grubs that are
like maggots with black heads and the ones that are like albino
beetles. This new one seemed very small, which is why it seemed weird
it was a one off. But I did have a problem with some kinda mass weevil
problems in the summer that never got identified (the ones that ate the
chinese cabbages) I don't think there was fluff at the roots at the
same time.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Rod Craddock

"Amber" wrote in message
ps.com...
The last time I had VW there were a mix of the grubs that are like
maggots with black heads and the ones that are like albino beetles.

That'll be the 'nymph' stage of the VW, just before they metamorphose
into the adult weevils we all know.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 PM
MELANIE MCDONALD

I discovered vine weevils a couple of weeks ago while dead heading.(Gently
pinched a flower to pull it off and the whole plant came up in my hand and
was rootless). On further investigaiton I found loads of the grubs and
nearly all my plants infected. I used Pravado vine weevil killer and it's
done the trick. All new plants have been potted in compost which is treated
with insecticide (Levingtons) and the old plants all seem to be recovering
well. I really didnt want to use such a strong insecticide but I would have
lost my entire garden otherwise.
Mel.
"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Amber

And before you get the adult VW do they have an albino phase? Kinda
like they are pale like the grub, gorw legs )still pale) and then are
fully grown (darker)?

I did do a VW biological control earier in the year and a pravado in
the cacti/succulents. Some of the biological controls work out very
expensive though ;-(

Old 13-10-2005, 08:04 AM
JennyC

"Amber" wrote in message
ups.com...
And before you get the adult VW do they have an albino phase? Kinda
like they are pale like the grub, gorw legs )still pale) and then are
fully grown (darker)?

I did do a VW biological control earier in the year and a pravado in
the cacti/succulents. Some of the biological controls work out very
expensive though ;-(

I wrote an FAQ about VW's years ago........
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqweevl.htm
(not checked for 404's tho!)
jenny

Old 13-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Amber

thanks for the link

Help! Rose leaves fell off Vincent Vega Roses 0 24-06-2007 04:34 PM
HELP! Rose leaves fell off Vincent Vega Roses 1 24-06-2007 03:22 AM
The pod fell off PhalGuy Orchids 4 11-08-2005 08:51 PM
vine weevils, again ! Kate Morgan United Kingdom 1 19-10-2002 10:27 AM