Old 24-09-2005, 07:28 PM
J Fortuna

Default Phal seedling with one leaf

Among the least happy campers in my condo is a phal schilleriana seedling
that in March lost two leaves, leaving only one leaf, and has not grown any
new leaf since then (in about 7 months). The remaining leaf looks healthy
and the root system looks vigorous, but I wonder: is this young plant doomed
to die after all? and is there anything I can do to encourage it to grow a
second leaf?

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 29-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered User

I would put in a plastic bag with moist (not wet!!) sphagnum. I have saved a couple of Phals that way, and just now I have one seedling in a bag. Open the plastic bag and check the roots, and let the bag be open for some hours now and then. If the sphag is too wet, it would rot. I keep it warm, on my bathroom floor.

Milda

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Fortuna

Old 30-09-2005, 02:18 AM
J Fortuna

Milda,
Thanks for the advice.
I thought that the sphag in bag method was in order to encourage root
growth? Does it also encourage new leaf growth? This seedling has quite a
lot of healthy roots, just the leaf situation is dire.
Joanna

--
Milda

Old 30-09-2005, 01:18 PM
?

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:18:55 GMT in 3o0%e.5676$211.1515@trnddc08 J Fortuna wrote:
Milda,
Thanks for the advice.
I thought that the sphag in bag method was in order to encourage root
growth? Does it also encourage new leaf growth? This seedling has quite a
lot of healthy roots, just the leaf situation is dire.

I thought I had good roots on a sickly phal, but it didn't take to putting
out new leaves until it had been bagged for a while.
And in desperation I stuffed a mite chewed dendrobium into a plastic bag
(I had a bag that would fit the plant and pot) and misted the media before
closing the bag and placing it on the heat mat I use for rooting african
violets. It has put out a couple new shoots and new growth from a spot I
thought the mites had chewed/sucked to pure crispiness.
Do watch out for mold while they are bagged.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 30-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered User

[quote=J
I thought that the sphag in bag method was in order to encourage root
growth? Does it also encourage new leaf growth? This seedling has quite a
lot of healthy roots, just the leaf situation is dire.
Joanna

[/QUOTE]

Hi Joanna!

The plant will get new leaves as well. My Phal seedling lost one leaf before I put it in the bag (there were still two left), but now it has grown a new leaf the last month. I think I have had it in the bag for 3 and a half months now.
I think it is hard work for a little plant with only one leaf to encourage root growth. When you put it in a bag with sphag, it might not be so stressed if you see what I mean. Are you sure the roots are healthy? Are there any green roottips on your Phal, what medium do you keep it in, for how long have you had this seedling?
Good luck!

Milda

Old 01-10-2005, 01:09 PM
J Fortuna

Milda,

Thanks for your reply. I think I may well try the sphag in bag method for
this seedling. In answer to your questions:

Are you sure the roots are healthy?

Actually I am not 100% sure that the roots are healthy. There are several
aerial roots that look vigorous and a few roots close to the surface that
look good, and a few that are visible through the drain-holes, so I just
assumed the roots were fine, but I have not looked at them as carefully as I
should have.

Are there any green roottips on your Phal?

No, but the root tips are a healthy shade of color, meaty, and different
from the rest of the roots. I don't think that green is the natural color
for roots of phal schilleriana, at least not this phal schilleriana --
unless of course I am wrong -- the roots are mostly gray, with brown and red
in the tips, that's the color they were when I first acquired this seedling.

what medium do you keep it in?

This seedling is in bark, in a small plastic (non-transparent) pot.

for how long have you had this seedling?

I bought this seedling almost exactly a year ago at the DC orchid show, and
at first it seemed healthy, but then it went downhill rapidly. It has had
only one leaf since March -- I wonder whether my culture was at fault here,
I was treating it just like I treated the adult Phals, but it is possible
that it got too cold for a seedling close to the window in winter and early
spring, or something like that. However, for the past 6 months or so it has
been sort of in limbo, not getting any worse but also not getting any
better. The last of the leaves has continued looking healthy and firm.

I will acquire zip-lock bags today, and try the sphag in bag method. By the
way, I am grateful to Ray for posting the instructions for this on his
website http://www.firstrays.com/sphagnbag.htm.

Thanks again,
Joanna