Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default Speakers for garden societies?

Trying to get together another year's programme for the gardening Club I
wondered if people on this list could recommend or not recommend any
likely speakers ?

Had some very good speakers last year but sadly our members don't seem
too keen on vegetable growing or allotments in the main. Biggest draw
was Rosemary Campbell Preston and 'scented garden' and a 'flower
arranging garden'!

Timothy Walker was a huge success in the summer for our 'special' talk.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 05-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Trying to get together another year's programme for the gardening Club I
wondered if people on this list could recommend or not recommend any
likely speakers ?

Had some very good speakers last year but sadly our members don't seem
too keen on vegetable growing or allotments in the main. Biggest draw
was Rosemary Campbell Preston and 'scented garden' and a 'flower
arranging garden'!

Timothy Walker was a huge success in the summer for our 'special' talk.

Bob Flowerdew is always entertaining.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 05-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Sacha

Janet Baraclough4/12/03 11:50

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Janet Tweedy4/12/03 9:35

Trying to get together another year's programme for the gardening Club I
wondered if people on this list could recommend or not recommend any
likely speakers ?

Had some very good speakers last year but sadly our members don't seem
too keen on vegetable growing or allotments in the main. Biggest draw
was Rosemary Campbell Preston and 'scented garden' and a 'flower
arranging garden'!

Timothy Walker was a huge success in the summer for our 'special' talk.

There's a rent-a-speaker organisation, can't remember the name, but my
previous gardening soc found that not all of them are as good as you'd
hope for the money they charge.

Sometimes the best speakers or demonstrators are local amateurs with a
passion; you could try asking local organisations such as the WI and
Round Table for recommendations.

As for Mike Nelhams (Sacha's suggestion)...ohhh yesssss. I went to a
gardening talk of his at which every woman was completely spellbound for
about an hour and a half with big sloppy smiles on their faces.
Strangely, I have absolutely no recollection of the horticultural
content, and I bet none of them did either..but we enjoyed it
immensely:~}

Janet

Watch it - I might send this on to him. ;-))
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 05-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Trying to get together another year's programme for the gardening Club I
wondered if people on this list could recommend or not recommend any
likely speakers ?

Had some very good speakers last year but sadly our members don't seem
too keen on vegetable growing or allotments in the main. Biggest draw
was Rosemary Campbell Preston and 'scented garden' and a 'flower
arranging garden'!

Timothy Walker was a huge success in the summer for our 'special' talk.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
http://www.amersham-gardening.ukonline.co.uk

Mike Brown and Robin Savill are both good (and entertaining!) on different
aspects of clematis growing.
Peter Clough is very good on woodland gardens.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Sacha

Charlie Pridham5/12/03 9:11

[...]

I wonder if Guy Sissons would do one on climbers. Do you know if he ever
gives talks, Charlie? And what about you?! I know that you do!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-12-2003, 10:33 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Charlie Pridham5/12/03 9:11

Mike Brown and Robin Savill are both good (and entertaining!) on

different
aspects of clematis growing.
Peter Clough is very good on woodland gardens.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I wonder if Guy Sissons would do one on climbers. Do you know if he ever
gives talks, Charlie? And what about you?! I know that you do!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Guy didn't mention it was something that he did in the "off season" last
time we chatted, I know he disappears off plant hunting given half a chance!
I for my sins do give talks on clematis climbers and conservatories but you
can hardly recommend yourself! as you are never in the audiance :~)

Old 06-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Sacha

Charlie Pridham6/12/03 9:04

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Charlie Pridham5/12/03 9:11

[...]

Well, although I haven't been in your audience, I have at least talked TO
you, so have no hesitation in recommending you. And yes, I'd forgotten Guy
tends to disappear with his secateurs and plastic bags. ;-0 I think he'd
be a fascinating speaker, though. His site, for those who don't know his
nursery is www.plantsman.com
Mail order only.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Guy didn't mention it was something that he did in the "off season" last
time we chatted, I know he disappears off plant hunting given half a chance!
I for my sins do give talks on clematis climbers and conservatories but you
can hardly recommend yourself! as you are never in the audiance :~)

And it would be an awfully long way for him to come to speak to 70 or 80
members of our local gardening club on a Friday night

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 10-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

And yes, I'd forgotten Guy
tends to disappear with his secateurs and plastic bags. ;-0

Well I'm afraid that's what friends are used to me doing! Never go round
a garden without a plastic bag and secateurs, though I have never taken
anything without the permission of the garden's owner! I usually return
later in the year and bring them a rooted cutting or two so we all win
in the end

Janet

Old 10-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

And yes, I'd forgotten Guy
tends to disappear with his secateurs and plastic bags. ;-0

Well I'm afraid that's what friends are used to me doing! Never go
round a garden without a plastic bag and secateurs, though I have never
taken anything without the permission of the garden's owner! I usually
return later in the year and bring them a rooted cutting or two so we
all win in the end

When my parents opened their garden to the public as part of the
National Gardens Scheme, they accepted that at the end of each day their
shrubs and plants would have been pruned for them......:-)

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 11-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Sacha

Malcolm Ogilvie10/12/03 6:34

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Sacha
writes

And yes, I'd forgotten Guy
tends to disappear with his secateurs and plastic bags. ;-0

Well I'm afraid that's what friends are used to me doing! Never go
round a garden without a plastic bag and secateurs, though I have never
taken anything without the permission of the garden's owner! I usually
return later in the year and bring them a rooted cutting or two so we
all win in the end

When my parents opened their garden to the public as part of the
National Gardens Scheme, they accepted that at the end of each day their
shrubs and plants would have been pruned for them......:-)

I've quoted this before on agr but for the sake of newcomers, I'll quote it
again. This is from the late, great Percy Thrower. Someone asked him when
one should take cuttings and his answer was "when the owner isn't looking".
;-)
Raymond also told me the story of a lady who owned a nursery not far from
here and although she was small, she was fiery. A member of her staff told
her that while they'd watched a customer picking up plants and placing them
in a trolley, they'd also noticed her nicking a cutting or 10, here and
there. So - when said customer came to pay for the visible plants (with
cuttings hidden in her bag) the formidable lady said "That's X for the
plants and we'll say £5 for the cuttings". ;-)
Ray had a truly hilarious moment or two in The Abbey Gardens, Tresco a year
or two ago. The curator of the Gardens, Mike Nelhams, is a friend and he
had given Ray permission to take whatever cuttings he chose. He'd even
provided a pair of secateurs and offered a trowel but we felt the latter was
a step too far! So - Raymond did his 'cuttings tour' of the gardens and
had two amusing encounters: one woman said to him "Are you allowed to do
that? Do you work here?" Raymond's reply was "I've been working here for
at least the last hour". The second needed no reply - a chap sidled up to
him as Ray was taking a cutting of something-lovely-and-precious and said
"I've had a couple of bits off those, too". ;-)
IOW, nothing and nowhere is sacred!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

When my parents opened their garden to the public as part of the
National Gardens Scheme, they accepted that at the end of each day their
shrubs and plants would have been pruned for them......:-)

Where is their garden, Malcolm?

Janet.