Old 17-11-2005, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bob

Default GLASS POTTING CONTAINERS???

I was told to inspect the roots of my orchids, which entails removing
them from the medium. This is a distubance to the orchids and a mess
for me. If the plants were in glasss jars of the appropriate size and
had holes drilled in the bottom and sides of the jar so water can not
collect., then inspection of roots should be a lot simpler , for me and
the orchids.Yes? No?( for the glass that is)
Bob

Old 18-11-2005, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

bob wrote:
I was told to inspect the roots of my orchids, which entails removing
them from the medium. This is a distubance to the orchids and a mess
for me. If the plants were in glasss jars of the appropriate size and
had holes drilled in the bottom and sides of the jar so water can not
collect., then inspection of roots should be a lot simpler , for me and
the orchids.Yes? No?( for the glass that is)
Bob

Use clear plastic pots.

Drilling holes in glass jars is tricky and hazardous. And besides, the
damned things are too breakable.

J. Del Col

Old 18-11-2005, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

bob wrote:
I was told to inspect the roots of my orchids, which entails removing
them from the medium. This is a distubance to the orchids and a mess
for me. If the plants were in glasss jars of the appropriate size and
had holes drilled in the bottom and sides of the jar so water can not
collect., then inspection of roots should be a lot simpler , for me and
the orchids.Yes? No?( for the glass that is)
Bob

Instead of glass, you may try looking for clear acrylic. The shapes
may be limited to cannister or tub styles. They look like glass but
will be less likely to break when adding the holes for drainage and
handling.

Old 19-11-2005, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jacqueline Roussel - 33

Nancy G. a écrit :

bob wrote:

I was told to inspect the roots of my orchids, which entails removing
them from the medium. This is a distubance to the orchids and a mess
for me. If the plants were in glasss jars of the appropriate size and
had holes drilled in the bottom and sides of the jar so water can not
collect., then inspection of roots should be a lot simpler , for me and
the orchids.Yes? No?( for the glass that is)
Bob

Instead of glass, you may try looking for clear acrylic. The shapes
may be limited to cannister or tub styles. They look like glass but
will be less likely to break when adding the holes for drainage and
handling.

in France, I can't find clear plastic pots. You can buy a new orchid in
such a pot, but garden centers don't sell the pots.
Is there a site or a web address where I can purchase plastic pots (but
not by hundreds! ;-) )

Thanks for your help

Old 19-11-2005, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Phalguy

Hello!

Why don`t you reuse plastic container like deli etc.....
Les pots de choucroutes etc sont excellents pour ca! Juste à y percer des
trous au fond et voilà!

Bonne chance!

Claude

Old 19-11-2005, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ted Byers

"Jacqueline Roussel - 33" wrote in message
in France, I can't find clear plastic pots. You can buy a new orchid in
such a pot, but garden centers don't sell the pots.
Is there a site or a web address where I can purchase plastic pots (but
not by hundreds! ;-) )

Don't you have pop over there in plastic bottles? ;-)

All I did, when repotting into semi-hydro, was drink a lot of diet pop (diet
because I am diabetic - the plants that end up in them don't care).
Whatever your potting medium, just cut the plastic bottle to a suitable size
after you've enjoyed the beverage, and use the bottom of the bottle just
like any other pot. I have used everything from 0.5 litre water bottles and
591 ml pop bottles to 2 litre bottles for this purpose. And over here at
least, one can get pecans and other nuts, as well as different salads, in
plastic containers that work beautifully as transparent pots for slightly
larger plants. These are suitable for specimen size plants or as reserviors
for plants in pots cut from 2 litre bottles if you're using semihydroponics.
And I have seen, but not recently, 4 litre water bottles and 10 litre water
containers that could well be adapted for larger specimen plants.

If you must have something specifically made for the purpose, you could
always ask the vendors who sell plants in clear plastic pots if they'd mind
selling you a small number of pots to you for repotting purposes. If they
don't sell them to you for whatever reason, they may be able to tell you
where you can get them.

In any event, I'd suggest you get creative and adapt any clear plastic
containers you see into the plastic pots you want to use. In doing so, a)
you save the money you'd have spent on pots, money better used to buy more
plants anyway, and b) you get extra value for the products you buy in
plastic containers because after you have enjoyed those products, you turn
their packaging to good use. What could be better than getting extra value
from the products you're buying anyway, and saving money so you can buy more
orchids?

Cheers,

Ted

--