Old 25-11-2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Query for the judges

And if you want to see a very good example of the most basic reason for
clonal or cultivar names, go to abpo and take a look at Dave Gillingham's
pics under the topic !@*&%%$#@@!!! genetics

Kenni

Old 25-11-2005, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Looks right to me. Kenni

"wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks ever so much Kenni for your most explicit explanations, you have
managed to clear some items up especially the "varietals" *g*
Genus/species or grex/clonal or varietal/Awards......Do I have this
correct?
I will save this & will look out for your website url.
Thanks again,
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 25-11-2005, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Joanna: I think/hope that the usages you mention are just joking
pleasantries, and that "Mrs. Professor" wouldn't include her husband's
degree if she were to prepare something like a resume or job application for
herself, to publish or to submit to a potential employer.

Also, in the example, Betty was Albert's sister, not child or spouse.
Although I'm not sure that would make a difference in the conversations you
describe. Kenni

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
snip
Much like the Smith family mentioned above. Just because Albert Smith

gets
a Ph.D, that doesn't mean his sister Betty Smith gets to call herself
"Doctor". G.

Kenni,

Unless the Smith family lives in Austria, and they encounter someone like
the Austrian swimming instructor of friends of my family, who would always
call their 3-year old son Dr. SoAndSo because his father had a P.h.D. :-)
While that is a silly extreme, some titles that technically should not
apply
to spouses get applied nonetheless, a lot of wives of college professors
get
called Mrs. Professor, at least in many European countries they do. I
guess
orchid nomenclature is a bit more consistent on that point, an award given
to a seed parent of a hybrid is not applied by association to the pollen
parent. :-)

Joanna

Old 25-11-2005, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Steve: This is indeed one pitfall, but as you say, I think the benefits
outweigh the hazards. The likelihood of 2 purchasers of the same seed-grown
hybrid choosing the _same_ cultivar name seems far less, to me, than the
likelihood of say, 5 different purchasers of divisions of the same plant
choosing 5 _different_ cultivar names for what are actually pieces of the
same plant, if there's not already a cultivar name on it. Kenni

"Steve" wrote in message
news
I don't have a question; I understand all of this. Suppose I buy a
seedling Catt, for example. Lots of other people buy a seedling from that
cross too. It's a vigorous grower and I soon have a few divisions to sell
or give away. I decide to give it a clonal name before divisions go to
other people. I name it 'Spee'. Meanwhile, someone in California (who
shall remain nameless) has purchased a seedling of that same cross. By
some great coincidence, she decides to name hers 'Spee' also.
So I give away some plants, time passes and I loose track of where the
plants went. Now our California grower takes her Catt Whatever 'Spee' in
for judging and it earns an award. Catt Whatever 'Spee' AM/AOS.
Now a couple of people who ended up with one of my inferior, not award
worthy, plants sees that 'Spee' got the AM/AOS. Oh boy! They add AM/AOS to
their tag because they read that the 'Spee' clone got an award.

As I said, I have no question. It's just that it's almost ... ALMOST ... a
reason to refrain from giving an ordinary plant a clonal name. Maybe it
illustrates a reason to give truly unique clonal names (Spee should have
done it). The benefits outweigh the hazards I think. Give those plants a
clonal name anyway, because it does help keep a group of clones all to be
named the same.

Steve

Old 26-11-2005, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Kenni,

Oh, I really don't think that these are "joking pleasantries" at least the
people I have met in European countries (especially Austria) who would thus
misapply the title to the spouse were quite serious people and not joking at
the time -- I think in some European countries, among some people or some
classes, the importance attached to titles in an informal way as a social
status symbol is quite astounding to those who have not encountered it
before, and this is something that is very different than in the U.S..
However you are right that "Mrs. Professor" would definitely not include
this on her resume, indeed a woman thus addressed would be unlikely to talk
about herself in a similar fashion (unless _she_ was joking). And I think
such titles are not applied to sisters, just to spouses most of the time --
but as the ridiculous but true example of the 3-year old addressed as
Professor shows, there are times when the titles are misapplied further
beyond the spouse, but I think that is fairly rare, whereas the
misapplication of titles to spouse is fairly common.

Joanna

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
snip
Much like the Smith family mentioned above. Just because Albert Smith

gets
a Ph.D, that doesn't mean his sister Betty Smith gets to call herself
"Doctor". G.

Kenni,

Unless the Smith family lives in Austria, and they encounter someone

like
the Austrian swimming instructor of friends of my family, who would

always
call their 3-year old son Dr. SoAndSo because his father had a P.h.D.

:-)

Old 26-11-2005, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

In article zwUhf.614$tg3.509@trnddc02,
says...

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Joanna: I think/hope that the usages you mention are just joking
pleasantries, and that "Mrs. Professor" wouldn't include her husband's
degree if she were to prepare something like a resume or job application

for
herself, to publish or to submit to a potential employer.

Also, in the example, Betty was Albert's sister, not child or spouse.
Although I'm not sure that would make a difference in the conversations

you
describe. Kenni

This is a practice I hate here in Europe. When our village got its first
woman elected as mayor this year - an event in which I was not just a
bystander - I addressed her husband jokingly as Herr Bürgermeister. His
shock was evident as he replied, "No, no! My wife was elected!" But the
"proper" title for a mayor's wife here is "Frau Bürgermeister"!!!
Frau Doktor is said to spouses of doctors, even those who have a non-
medical doctorate, and Frau Professor to wives of teachers, though the
male counterpart, as above, is still unusual.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html