Old 20-12-2005, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
nigel savage

Default funky looking protocorm

Hey guys & gals,

Posted several months ago about my attempt at growing from seed, and I
have successfully done so and in my flask I can count all 36 protocorms
under a disection scope. Reason for low amount was that sterilization
step allowed 100% ethanol into the caspule because I was clumsy.
Still, for my first attempt I am delighted to have more than one and no
bacterial/ fungal infections in my flask
The reason for the post is to mention that one of the protocorms has a
single cell projection straight up from the mass of cells. This
protrusion has no pigment and once i get the chance will photograph it
for you (how and where do I post this?) Has anyone any experience with
in vitro orchid growing and can anyone tell me what this protrusion may
be / become? Am I being nive and this is the first primitive leaf?

Glad to hear any info!

Nigel

Old 20-12-2005, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

I think you are looking at the first true leaf or stem tissue sprouting out
of the protocorm. In a perfect world, it would not be white, which to me,
describes tissue that is not producing chlorophyll and is a bad thing.
Hopefully you will see it green up. Occasionally, for any number of
reasons, the protocorm and newly developing tissue sprouting from it will
die. Since it can not rot in a sterile environment, death is often
signaled by growth that just turns white and stops growing. But don't give
up hope too soon. Anything could be going on. Sometimes seed which you
don't even know is there will pop up after some faster germinating protocorm
die off.

(I have some Phal seed in flask that greened up real fast and then turned
all black due to phenolic poisoning. I just left it alone because if they
were all dead, there was no hurry to get them out of there. Out of this
black lumpy mass of dead, poisoned protorms, new green protocorms which are
not as sensitive to phenols have popped up and formed plantlets. Many fewer
for sure than the initial flush of seed germination, but enough that I am
glad I did not throw out the flask. Phals leach phenols into the media as a
waste product with more alacrity than any other genus I have germinated.
For instance I don't see it in any of my cattleya flasks. And if you use
charcoal in your media, you won't see it at all because it is black. When
it builds up in charcoal blackened media the surface looks greasy and it is
time to move any plants living there.)

oups.com...

Old 21-12-2005, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Nigel,

That projection shooting up from the protocorm mass sounds to me like the
dreaded blob from outer space... from way-out outer space. Soon it will
grow to take over the entire flask, then it will overtake more flasks, then
3 or 4 window sills, then your patio, then it will suck all the will power
out of your head and demand its own heated fancy "day room" (Day Room is
Oprah talk) with special fans, lights and slat curtain walls. Then it will
invite more of he/she/it's blob-friends from outer space to feast on your
rump. So just sit back, enjoy the ride, and yes you are being "nive"...
Soon enough there will be all kinds of things shooting up from those cutesy
wutesy little protocorms to enjoy. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa (a Vincent Price
laugh).

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

Old 21-12-2005, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
nigel savage

Thanks for the input Al, the actual protocorm is nice and green so I
doubt it's doomed (yet). Other seeds have plumped up then died in the
same flak so I understand what you mean. All it is, is just an
elongated cell projecting upwards from the clump of cells. Will keep a
close eye on it and hopefully this will turn out to be a leaf type of
thing. Actually I don't have any charcoal in the medium and since
there are so phew protocorms in the flask, the distance between them is
quite respectable.

Naïve Nigel (thanks Mick for your inestimable input and your hawk-eye
vision at spotting typos)

Old 21-12-2005, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Nigel,

Don't mention it... glad to be of help.

Mick

Heads Up: 'Life on Mars' SP Is Funky Dr. Personality Ponds 0 26-12-2007 01:55 AM
Help with funky fish Carl Beyer Ponds 51 16-01-2005 12:50 AM
Help with funky fish Carl Beyer Ponds 0 12-01-2005 03:52 PM
funky garden lighting spywho United Kingdom 5 02-06-2004 12:24 AM
Funky Fungus Don S. North Carolina 4 03-05-2003 05:44 PM