Old 14-02-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default How many forum members does it take to change a light bulk

Posted by Buzz Baxter (Windsong Orchids) on the OGD:

How many group members does it takes to change a light bulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing
light bulbs.

Five to flame the spell checkers.

Three to correct spelling/grammar flames.

Six to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

Another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the correct
spelling.

Nineteen to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take
this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the group saying that we all use light bulbs
and there fore the posts are relevant to this group.

Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this
technique and what brands are faulty

Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this
group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including
all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

Five to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy.

Four to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

Thirteen to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"

Three to tell a funny story about their show cat and a light bulb.

AND

One group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now with
something unrelated they found at snopes.Com and start the crap all over
again!!!!!!

Does this sound Familiar?

Old 14-02-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

LOL.

Yes that does sound familiar. And I have even seen forums where this kind of
"thread" seemed the norm rather than the exception. While we have some of
this at rgo, I think we can pat ourselves on the backs that this kind of
discussion is relatively rare here. :-)

Joanna

. ..

Old 14-02-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

you wrote "light bulk" in the subject line.

....and somebody to say thank you if the orginial post actually learned them
something

. ..

Old 14-02-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lady Blacksword

*snicker* And, obviously, someone to correct a misspelled subcet
line...........
Murri

"Al" wrote in message
you wrote "light bulk" in the subject line.

...and somebody to say thank you if the orginial post actually learned
them something

. ..

Old 14-02-2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

And just one to turn the whole thing into a political war over imported
light bulbs from China and the loss of American manufacturing jobs because
of the policies of the (*Name your poison*) Party........

LOL!

Diana

Old 15-02-2006, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

I have this recollection that a while back Diana remarked in amazement at how
one of her postings had morphed. But at least, when ours do that, it seems to
be in genuine fun.
Dave Gillingham

Old 16-02-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

And, obviously, someone to correct a misspelled subcet line...........
Murri

Um, *subject* line.....See? Here we go! LOL

Diana

Old 16-02-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Just in case anyone wondered, here are all the groups.google
rec.gardens.orchids search results of all prior discussions of

"light bulb" (368 results)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...h?q=light+bulb

and of
"lightbulb" (5 results)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...ch?q=lightbulb

Obviously light bulb discussions are on topic here, and we prefer the two
word spelling in this forum. :-)

Joanna

Old 16-02-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lady Blacksword

Wondered how long it would take someone to notice that.
Thanks, Diana, for having your eyes open.
Murri

Old 16-02-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:06:14 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

I have this recollection that a while back Diana remarked in amazement at how
one of her postings had morphed. But at least, when ours do that, it seems to
be in genuine fun.
Dave Gillingham

There was just a study done on how insulting most email/chat humor is
to most of the readers. Seems 70% of the 'humor' applied to email
comes across as insult to the readers. Our group does very well in
crossing culture, gender barriers with a very low insult rate...
unless of course someone intentionally roars from the cave.
SuE