Old 26-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Diane M.

Default spike or root?

Old question, I know, but I've never seen a spike on this Brassia verrucosa x self before and now it has this growth coming out top of the psuedobulb. It's thin, and loots like a root. Could it be a spike? If not where will the spike start- if it's a root, another strange growth has occurred.

With the plants coming inside, I'm sure I'll start seeing new activity

--
Diane
Old 26-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

Usually the spike comes from the side of the pseudobulb from the "V" in the outer leaves. I have seen some Brassias spike before the pseudobulb is fully developed and look like it's spiking from the top.

I've also noticed that the side of the pseudobulb develops a ridge where the flower spike forms. If you see this on a mature brassia you can expect a flower soon.

Gene

Old 26-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Diane M.

This is coming out of the top of the lowest leaf on the pseudobulb. Smooth like a root- If it heads down it is- I hope finally a spike.

Biggest difference is the lower light in the house from being outside. I'm not sure yet what affect this will have on the plants.

Old 27-09-2003, 05:32 PM
jim seymour

Diane,
My Brassia rex spent the summer outside, lots of direct sun and plenty
rain (PA). Fed properly I think. Plants were brought inside with the threats
of Isabel and temps to 43F. Mine also has a growth at the top of the bulb.
I am really confused because whether it is a root or a spike it is way out
of place. Perhaps the plants are confused but mother nature seems to know
what she is doing. Time will tell.
jim

Old 27-09-2003, 06:02 PM
jim seymour

Really confused and somewhat redfaced...Brassia is normal, now the Sharry
Baby is the one in question.
Jim

news

Old 27-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Diane M.

hi Jim, Well, At least I'm not the only one having weird growths. Most of my
collection was acquired out of bloom, so I'll be in for a surprise.

Your EPI. STAR VALLEY 'Nalo' keiki is one of my weirdoes. Growing nicely,
but - It has a root growing from the middle of the plant. I emailed someone
who grew these and I think since it is root happy, I'm going to mount it on
cork

"Diane M." wrote in message
t...
Old question, I know, but I've never seen a spike on this Brassia

verrucosa
x self before and now it has this growth coming out top of the

psuedobulb.
It's thin, and loots like a root. Could it be a spike? If not where will

the
spike start- if it's a root, another strange growth has occurred.

With the plants coming inside, I'm sure I'll start seeing new activity

--
Diane

root or spike [email protected] Orchids 12 25-02-2006 12:57 AM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM