Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Default How do you control trips

I was checking my plants yeasterday and found out that I have thrips
now, I think that they came in with some bulbs I got at a not to be
named home improvement store, in addition to the moss flys I can't seem
to get rid of. I HATE thrips and have never been able of to kill all
of them in the past when they were in my African Violets, is there
something that I can use to kill them all and not just control them?

Jack

Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Jack,

A systemic works best for me when the beasties come around, but I realize
that you grow inside. Ray has great information about home remedies.

Go he http://www.firstrays.com/thrips.htm

HTH

Diana

Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Avoid bad acid.

J. Del Col (child of the '60's)

Old 09-04-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Avoid bad acid.

J. Del Col (child of the '60's)

Ouch! G

Diana

Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

How about carnivorous plants? I've used them in the past to control fungus
gnats, and they certainly are interesting. I think sundews are most
effective. (drosera)

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 09-04-2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Kathy, would pitcher plants work? This is an interesting concept, especially
since I currently have my first ever case of spider mites. *&(^%_! They
ravaged my Phals before I saw the webs.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
How about carnivorous plants? I've used them in the past to control
fungus gnats, and they certainly are interesting. I think sundews are
most effective. (drosera)

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew

K Barrett wrote:
How about carnivorous plants? I've used them in the past to control fungus
gnats, and they certainly are interesting. I think sundews are most
effective. (drosera)

I have never had much luck using carnivorous plants as pest control.
Most of what my plants catch are not pest insects. I have heard of
people using large pots of Byblis in the doorway of their greenhouse to
control against moths/butterflies with success but small pests eg
thrips, aphids, spider mite and scale are difficult to control with
carnivorous plants and will more often than not attack the carnivorous
plants as well as your orchids. Many of my Drosera get attacked by
aphids long before they even think of moving on to my orchids. My
Sarracenia get attacked by the same scale and caterpillars that my
orchids do. As you mentioned, the only pest I find them useful for are
fungus gnats. Pinguicula and to a lesser extent Drosera do catch fungus
gnats do a decent job of catching them although it's a bit of a catch
22 as wet peat generally encourages fungus gnats. Then again, fungus
gnats aren't problematic for me so whether or not my Pinguicula are
controlling them is a moot point.
Andrew

Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew

Diana,
Spider mites are generally more pest than prey for pitcher plants. If
you don't want to use systemincs and you're willing to spend the $$$,
there are commercially reared predatory mites that can control spider
mites. They're expensive but apparently effective. I believe there's
also commercially reared mites that will attack thrips. Of course
pesticides are a no no if you want to go this route.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

So....
systemics, any one know if they granualr systemics?

carnivours plants, maybe as early warning

neem oil every week, if they need it or not

......And a six pack of beer for me.
I can add thirps to my list of grips, like where in the hell to put my
Agrcm. eburneum when it grows up.

jack

Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Oh, yeah

J. Del Col (child of the '60's) wrote
Avoid bad acid.

Orthonex works great, It was after I was buzzing I bothered to read the
bottle and saw the little warning "for outdoor use only"
It might be awhile before I come down

Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 18:40:26 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Kathy, would pitcher plants work? This is an interesting concept, especially
since I currently have my first ever case of spider mites. *&(^%_! They
ravaged my Phals before I saw the webs.

Bayer Tree and Shrub used in the water/fertilizer seems to have gotten
rid of the waxy scale and spider mites.

--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and
Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

K Barrett wrote:
How about carnivorous plants? I've used them in the past to control fungus
gnats, and they certainly are interesting. I think sundews are most
effective. (drosera)

Carnivorous plants can also attract more insects, so the net effect
might not be what you had in mind.

I used to raise nepenthes, drosera, dionea, etc. If you want bugs to
find your plants, put some carnivourous shrubbery in with them.

J. Del Col

Old 10-04-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Jack: Any 75% acephate product [think Orthene, Isotox, Orthenex, but check
the label for the %, lately they've been "watered down" to lower
percentages] will do the job in 1-2 sprayings. But if you are growing
indoors, you'll need to take all the plants outside to spray them and
ideally, you'll have a shady place to let them dry off and "air out"
afterwards. The stuff STINKS -- which is a good indication that you
shouldn't breathe a lot of it. I don't know whether it's safe on violets,
but I've never seen it harm an orchid.

When I say "do the job," I mean it will get rid of your current crop.
Thrips are very small and very mobile, so chances are you will get a new
crop at some point. [I never cease to be amazed at the folks who don't
think that thrips, scale, mealies, etc., can get into their homes through
their window screens ... even without hitchhiking on a new plant purchase].
Kenni

oups.com...

Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Andrew, I don't mind using systemics at all. (Well, no one adores using that
smelly stuff, but you bite the bullet, so to speak.) I tried the
soap/oil/water route, but I have too many plants to be spraying the under
side of all the leaves every 5 days. It's going to be the big guns.

I grow outside under screen, so predator bugs would be impossible to
contain.

Diana

Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

.....And a six pack of beer for me.
I can add thirps to my list of grips, like where in the hell to put my
Agrcm. eburneum when it grows up.

Hang it in the bathroom! G

Diana