Old 17-04-2006, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Default Furnace Failure...UGH!

jtill wrote:
The big problem with blowers and fans is their being rusted to

the shaft. WD 40 it the day before you try to take it off,

Good advice. I prefer Liquid Wrench or Breakfree CLP.

(It may be best to buy the Blower and a new motor. Life
will look a bunch better if you do that).

Yes indeed, and it still wouldn't ad up to $650.

J. Del Col

Old 17-04-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:25:21 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:
That's true about googling for repair parts and directions. I got a repair
manual for my maytag refrigerator ice maker online and was able to take it
apart and fix it.

Worth mentioning.
There are people in this world that should not attempt repairing things
his or her self. There are other people that toss all rational
thought to the wind when electricity or gas are thrown into the mix.

If you are one of those people, you need to
1) Find a good HVAC technician/firm.
2) Establish a working relationship with the folks that do your HVAC
work.

I think the original poster found one of the firms where extortion
is a part of their business plan. I'd suggest asking for repair
estimates from a couple other firms before replacing the whole thing.
--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and
Old 17-04-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Gene Schurg wrote:

I called a local
company who took their good old time coming out and the repairman took two
hours to figure out what was wrong ($255.00)

$127.50 an hour?!! It should have taken him about two minutes. I
hope you don't patronize these pirates in the future.

J. Del Col

Old 17-04-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:59:33 GMT in 9yh0g.413$_s5.104@trnddc04 Gene Schurg wrote:
I am afraid that I will fix this one and worry all next winter that it might
break again. I'm thinking about a new unit but am unsure what I'll get.
I'll check out the Reznor site.

Well, you now know one failure mode for this heater.
I do not know if you've looked far enough to see if this is
the only failure mode you're likely to encounter.
If you're handy and not afraid of electricity, having a replacement
fan stored under your bed might be the cheapest solution.
If you're not so handy... you probably want to find an HVAC
company that is responsive and rational.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

Whatever you decide, have you thought about a backup system?

Old 17-04-2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

They charge $95 for the first 1/2 hour and $40 per 15 minutes.....As a favor
the tech only charged me for 1 1/2 hours......What a deal!

I think he was ashamed.

"jadel" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 20-04-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

We don't have heater needs in Houston but I have been following this
thread. Do you guys use any Solar Panels combined with water storage? I
use 35 Gal. drums for bench supports (since I have plenty of them).
Panels can be made with plastic pipe, a small pump and half a dozen
drums and you could save some bucks on heating. The pipe panels could
serve as shade cloth at 50% blocking. Just a thought.
Joe T
Houston

Old 20-04-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Someone in our society has a system like this. They live just over the
border in South Carolina. I think they have more like 50 barrels under the
benches in a pretty big greenhouse. They have black painted pipes running
across the roof (but not nearly enough to provide any shade for the plants)
and a pump to circulate water through the system. It seems to work. I need
to get them to write an article for the newsletter sometime.
-danny

ups.com...

Old 20-04-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On 19 Apr 2006 18:55:36 -0700 in . com jtill wrote:
We don't have heater needs in Houston but I have been following this
thread. Do you guys use any Solar Panels combined with water storage? I
use 35 Gal. drums for bench supports (since I have plenty of them).
Panels can be made with plastic pipe, a small pump and half a dozen
drums and you could save some bucks on heating. The pipe panels could
serve as shade cloth at 50% blocking. Just a thought.

I've been meaning to play with with a Subterranean Heating and Cooling
System
http://www.sunnyjohn.com/indexpages/shcs.htm
But to do so effectively would require enough space to do two greenhouses
one with traditional and one with SHCS.

Old 20-04-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Chris, I can't see SHCS, would have to talk/visit an installation.
Joe T
Houston

Old 20-04-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Just wondering, what about old house furnaces with cracked heat
exchangers ( you should be able to get them for cheap) that use outside
air, a small ammount of carbon monoxide (CO) leaking shouldn't be a
problem, they produce enought and you buy them cheap from a HVAC
company as long as can show that it is an outdoor use.

Jack

UGH! Snails! Troy Bruder Freshwater Aquaria Plants 38 18-02-2004 08:54 AM
UGH! Snails! Troy Bruder Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2004 04:42 PM
It's June But The Furnace Is Still Running BroJack Gardening 74 19-06-2003 10:56 PM
Stinking Fungus-UGH KPDOBES Gardening 2 03-06-2003 04:08 AM
ugh - all my roses are yellow torgo Roses 0 16-04-2003 05:08 PM