Old 29-04-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default plant housecleaning

I got rid of all my non-orchid plants (except for the bay leaf tree, but
that is David's plant, and it's an honorary orchid, so that's ok). But I
gave away my 5 houseplants that were not orchids, and I threw away one
orchid that was dieing and gave away another orchid that was not doing very
well (and was a near duplicate of one that is doing very well).

So now I am down to only 48 orchids, and I can get 2 more new orchids, and I
will still have less of a watering burden because the non-orchids are gone.
:-)

Plus my cochleanthes amazonica now needs to be watered less frequently
because it has been repotted into semi-hydroponics.

Having a baby, means that I don't have as much time anymore (so watering
plants that I am not emotionally invested in is no longer a good idea, hence
the plant housecleaning), but I am still an orchid addict, and have been
deprived of new orchids too long. Must do something about these withdrawal
symptoms. I guess I will have to check out Al's again. It is a shame that he
is almost out of Phals. That picture he posted to abpo really made me feel
sorry for him. ;-)

Joanna

Old 29-04-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I vote that you take Robert to Al's. Whatever Robert reaches for first will
be your next orchid. Then you can truly tell him it's "his" first orchid!

Diana

Old 29-04-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Diana,

Good advice, but too late. We just returned from Al's this very moment, and
I chose the orchids in Robert's stead. I got two orchids, both of them in
bud/spike and not in flower (since I have so many in flower but very little
is spiking for me right now). I bought these:

Lc. (Sakura Sky x C Horace) 'Paradise Pink' -- with 3 buds in one
pseudobulb, and another pseudobulb that looks like it is beginning a sheath
as well

Milt Pluto 'Katie' x Arnold Linsman ;Hot Spicey' AM/AOS -- with 4 spikes in
bud

Robert slept through most of the visit at Al's, but then he woke up and
seemed to enjoy some of it, until he got hungry (got to have priorities, and
food is more important than orchids).

Altogether though it was a good visit. And Al's greenhouse is superb at this
time of year. He has a lot in bloom that's part of his own collection, and a
lot for sale, both Phals and non-Phals.

Joanna

. ..

Old 29-04-2006, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Sounds like good choices, Joanna!

Diana

Old 30-04-2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

In article QqQ4g.6269$Un3.4319@trnddc05,
says...
~Diana,
~
[...]
Thank god I don't have anything even faintly resembling Al's in the
vicinity...
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 30-04-2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

--

Or Robert?????? ;-)
Dave Gillingham
Old 30-04-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Reka,
I have an idea: why don't you open up your own. I can see it already "Reka's
Wine Cellar & Orchid Greenhouse". I am sure it would be a hoping place.
Joanna