Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default phrag giganteum-sick?

hi- I acquired a phrag giganteum from a very reputable store last week.
when I brought it home it appeared to be leaning significantly so we
repotted it, but it continued to lean and wobble until I repotted it
again two days ago and staked it. My question is- does it look ok? I
believe I may have overwatered it when I first brought it home so I
haven't watered it since, and I've had it about 4 feet back from a
southern exposed window, but I'm concerned about the leaf that's turned
yellow and brown and about the others that appear to be wilting. anyone
have any advice? I have pictures if anyone would like me to send them,
(I can't figure out how to attach them). any help would be greatly
appreciated.

rachel

Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Rachel,

As there was no image attached (Don't do so here, this is a non-binaries
newsgroup), we cannot answer the "does it look OK, but phrags are used to
being constantly wet, so unless your potting medium is way too dense to
allow air flow to the roots, it's almost impossible to overwater them.

My guess is that you've done what you can, and as the plant grows new roots
to stabilize itself in the new pot, it will be fine, even without the stake.

oups.com...

Old 04-05-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Actually I think giganteum (if it is a valid name, which I'm not so sure
it is) is in the caudatum/wallisii/lindenii kind of group. But I could
be wrong. That group prefers to be a bit on the dry side. At least dry
for phrags.

The 'dry phrags' do well in semihydro (see Ray's site for more
information). Failing that, in a more 'traditional' potting mix I treat
them like paphs, watering as they approach dryness, rather than keeping
them very wet. The classic phrag trick of leaving the plants sit in a
saucer of water is not appropriate for these plants (at least in my
hands). They will tolerate it, and grow a bit, but they never grow as
well and are prone to rot if kept too wet.

Leave that stake in as long as you can, if it is wobbling too much it
won't root well. Once it is well rooted, it will stand on its own.
Hopefully you have given it a pot that fits its roots. Overpotting is a
really bad idea. If it has few roots, use a tiny pot, and repot it into
a bigger pot in 6 months or so when it has grown some nice new roots.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1