Old 13-07-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Robert Lorenzini

Default Tiny Snails!

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:58:39 -0400, Steve wrote:
Actually, you can buy CO2 in a
tank. That should work and would be easier to keep on hand.

Bicycle stores carry inexpensive CO2 inflators that work with
cartidges. I guess you could place the plant in a plastic
bag and fill but I would not want to treat many plants that
way. On the other hand you would not have to work arround the
temp problem with the dry ice.

Bob
Old 14-07-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:58:39 -0400, Steve wrote:

Actually, you can buy CO2 in a
tank. That should work and would be easier to keep on hand.

Bicycle stores carry inexpensive CO2 inflators that work with
cartidges. I guess you could place the plant in a plastic
bag and fill but I would not want to treat many plants that
way. On the other hand you would not have to work arround the
temp problem with the dry ice.

Bob

Look, I could make my own:
http://www.discount-hydro.com/co2.asp
Of course, with one of those CO2 generators running in the basement, I
wouldn't dare to go down there. I would suffocate myself! On the
brighter side, my pest problems would be over if I filled the entire
basement with CO2. I know, I'll put on some SCUBA gear so I can go down
to see how the orchids are doing. :-)

Steve
Old 14-07-2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Such devices wouldn't do the job sufficiently anyway.

CO2 "enrichment" for plant growth enhancement is a few-percent thing.
Insecticidal action occurs closer to saturation levels.

Old 14-07-2006, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Ray wrote:
Such devices wouldn't do the job sufficiently anyway.

CO2 "enrichment" for plant growth enhancement is a few-percent thing.
Insecticidal action occurs closer to saturation levels.

Darn. There goes my excuse to buy SCUBA equipment.
Old 19-07-2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I had an infestation in an orchidarium a couple of years ago. I
submerged all the mounts in water. Snails and slugs came out to the
surface after two or three hours. I repeated after a couple weeks for
two or three times. Killed around 60 of them, ten the second and two or
three the last. For me was very effective, although laborious.
Regards
Jorge

Old 31-07-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

All of our grocery stores sell it .. Kroger, albertsons, Tom Thumb, Minyards

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK
wrote:
This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob

Now I have to find a source for dry ice.....
Joe T