Old 09-07-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Robert Lorenzini

Default Tiny Snails!

I just found tiny snails on a mount. How do I
treat?

Bob
Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Robert,

They are very difficult to get rid of. I don't know your conditions but I
use standard slug bait with some success. I guess you could put some of the
granule around the top of the mount and mist the plant to have the granules
swell up. When the snails are active at night they will eat the stuff and
die.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

If you submerge the mount in water for say 24 hours can you drown these
pests? The orchid should not be affected.
~John

Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I would guess they are "bush snails", which are neither attracted to-, nor
killed by most slug and snail baits. As far as I know, only Mesurol is
listed for them, and it is unfortunately, a restricted use chemical here in
PA. (It's probably available in other states, so if anyone finds a source,
please let me know.)

For what it's worth - and I apologize to all for bringing this up again -
but I have noted the apparent elimination of them from plants that have been
repeatedly sprayed with coffee (yeah, that caffeine question again).

Of more concern though, is the fact that they have appeared on a mounted
plant. Unless you just got it and it came to you that way, I would fear
that you have a much bigger population elsewhere in your collection, and
bush snails can be pretty nasty on your plants.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:15:57 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

I would guess they are "bush snails", which are neither attracted to-, nor
killed by most slug and snail baits. As far as I know, only Mesurol is
listed for them, and it is unfortunately, a restricted use chemical here in
PA. (It's probably available in other states, so if anyone finds a source,
please let me know.)

For what it's worth - and I apologize to all for bringing this up again -
but I have noted the apparent elimination of them from plants that have been
repeatedly sprayed with coffee (yeah, that caffeine question again).

Of more concern though, is the fact that they have appeared on a mounted
plant. Unless you just got it and it came to you that way, I would fear
that you have a much bigger population elsewhere in your collection, and
bush snails can be pretty nasty on your plants.

I have had some luck with the snail baits that are almost a paste. I
put a drop in each corner of a pot I suspect they are in or on an old
label I can move around and lay flat. I don't remember the name, it
is something like slug-go... but don't quote me.

The ONE think I will tell you is to be VERY careful NOT to SQUISH
them. It is such a temptation to pick them off and squish them, then
you reach for another and contiue. But - These things are
hermaphrodites. Each squish fertalizes the eggs that snail carries
and soon you find YOU are seeding you plants with microscopic size
snails. And the whole works is worse. IF you do pick them off, one
of the most effective methods - I agree, dump them in a waste basket -
do not squish.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 09-07-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Robert Lorenzini

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:15:57 -0400, Ray wrote:
I would guess they are "bush snails", which are neither attracted to-, nor
killed by most slug and snail baits. As far as I know, only Mesurol is
listed for them, and it is unfortunately, a restricted use chemical here in
PA. (It's probably available in other states, so if anyone finds a source,
please let me know.)

For what it's worth - and I apologize to all for bringing this up again -
but I have noted the apparent elimination of them from plants that have been
repeatedly sprayed with coffee (yeah, that caffeine question again).

Of more concern though, is the fact that they have appeared on a mounted
plant. Unless you just got it and it came to you that way, I would fear
that you have a much bigger population elsewhere in your collection, and
bush snails can be pretty nasty on your plants.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm going to try the coffee diluted 50%
for lack of powered caffene. I live on a sailboat moored offshore and
almost all the plants are hanging in the skylight, the affected plant
is wall mounted so unless these buggers can fly I think I'm ok in
that respect. I'm a complete novice with orchids. Last summer we started
taking care of a friends orchids while they were on an extended vacation
and the addiction started. We started going to shows and bought a number
of small inexpensive plants to see how well they would do on the boat.
They all did well through the winter so this spring we started buying
the cheap flowering plants from the big box stores so as to always
have something in flower. Funny we were first interesting in the plants
and not so much the flower at first. Well we now have 25 plants and are
going to have to pass along some to hook friends and relations to make
room for more selective purchases.

Bob
Newport Beach, CA
Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

.......................... I live on a sailboat moored offshore and
almost all the plants are hanging in the skylight, the affected plant
is wall mounted so unless these buggers can fly I think I'm ok.....
Bob
Newport Beach, CA

Well, that's pretty cool. If you are careful about what you bring in,
you should be able to keep your collection quite pest free.

Steve
Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ian_UK

This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

Ian in the UK

Old 12-07-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Robert Lorenzini

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK wrote:
This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob
Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK wrote:
This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob

Now I have to find a source for dry ice.....
Joe T

Old 13-07-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On 11 Jul 2006 21:01:09 -0700 in . com jtill wrote:

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK wrote:
This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob

Now I have to find a source for dry ice.....

Most harris teeters sell it.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."
Old 13-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:10:19 +0100, Ian_UK wrote:
This is an interesting idea for pest control. I wonder if it would work
for bush snails...I bet it would!!

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

That's a great idea. I buy parrot seed in 5 gal plastic containers
and we put in dry ice to kill all the moth larva. Every pirate
needs a parrot (and orchids).

Bob

Now I have to find a source for dry ice.....

Most harris teeters sell it.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Harris Teeters? Not familiar with those folk.
I am going to arrange a box so I can "freeze disinfect" additions to
my collection, just a great idea/method. Will it kill scale? Will it
kill orchids? ;-))
Joe T

Old 13-07-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On 13 Jul 2006 08:39:43 -0700 in .com jtill wrote:

Most harris teeters sell it.

Harris Teeters? Not familiar with those folk.

Grocery chain, guess it hasn't hit your neck of the woods.

I am going to arrange a box so I can "freeze disinfect" additions to
my collection, just a great idea/method. Will it kill scale? Will it
kill orchids? ;-))

What I find works best for scale is bayer tree and shrub.
I mix an ounce to a gallon of water or fertilizer and use that
for a few watering cycles, then use once a month or so.

Old 13-07-2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

[...]

1. I had to look up Harris teeters to find out what it is. It turns out
to be a small chain of stores located in about 5 southeastern states.

2. You make me nervous using that phrase "freeze disinfect". I assume
you realize it doesn't work by freezing? It's the CO2 that smothers the
pests. It should kill anything that requires a constant supply of oxygen
to stay alive.

I would love to try the dry ice method the next time I have a difficult
pest problem. I have no idea where I might go to buy it though. Probably
too far away to be practical for me. Actually, you can buy CO2 in a
tank. That should work and would be easier to keep on hand.

Steve
Old 13-07-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Steve wrote:

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

[...]

I was just being cute with that "Freeze Disinfect" ;-)).
Joe T