Old 04-08-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Off Topic, HTML help

I need some basic HTML help.

I *finally* figured out how to put in an alt text tag on an image, so
the name of a picture comes up when you mouse over an image.

BUT!

It only works in MSIE's browser, not Safari and Firefox, which leaves
out some visitors.

Any help? How can I get this feature to work in every browser (or is
that impossible?)

I wanted this feature for the index list. Please see http://www.csnjc.org

K Barrett
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That's because, technically, you're using it wrong!

"Alt" is supposed to work INSTEAD OF an image (i.e., it was moved or you
coded it wrong). For something to work IN ADDITION TO an image, substitute
"title".

MSIE doesn't seem to know the difference, but Firefox does... I don't know
Safari, but if the used the html standard correctly, it should work.

. ..

Old 04-08-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray wrote:
That's because, technically, you're using it wrong!

"Alt" is supposed to work INSTEAD OF an image (i.e., it was moved or you
coded it wrong). For something to work IN ADDITION TO an image, substitute
"title".

MSIE doesn't seem to know the difference, but Firefox does... I don't know
Safari, but if the used the html standard correctly, it should work.

Yes, I added the Title command and the names come up in Safari. I have
another person who uses an oddball browser and linux seeing if they work
for her. (finger's crossed.)

Thanks Ray. The world is run by microsoft.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Ray wrote:

That's because, technically, you're using it wrong!

"Alt" is supposed to work INSTEAD OF an image (i.e., it was moved or
you coded it wrong). For something to work IN ADDITION TO an image,
substitute "title".

MSIE doesn't seem to know the difference, but Firefox does... I don't
know Safari, but if the used the html standard correctly, it should work.

Yes, I added the Title command and the names come up in Safari. I have
another person who uses an oddball browser and linux seeing if they work
for her. (finger's crossed.)

Thanks Ray. The world is run by microsoft.

I just looked at the site. The 2 thumbnails pop up the text for me and
I'm using Netscape 7.2 for my browser. I think it is working fine!

Steve
Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve wrote:
K Barrett wrote:

Ray wrote:

That's because, technically, you're using it wrong!

"Alt" is supposed to work INSTEAD OF an image (i.e., it was moved or
you coded it wrong). For something to work IN ADDITION TO an image,
substitute "title".

MSIE doesn't seem to know the difference, but Firefox does... I
don't know Safari, but if the used the html standard correctly, it
should work.

Yes, I added the Title command and the names come up in Safari. I
have another person who uses an oddball browser and linux seeing if
they work for her. (finger's crossed.)

Thanks Ray. The world is run by microsoft.

I just looked at the site. The 2 thumbnails pop up the text for me and
I'm using Netscape 7.2 for my browser. I think it is working fine!

Steve

Thanks Steve! I'm pretty sure that if it works in Netscape it should
work in other Mozilla products. (Firefox, etc)

Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think you mean the alt "attribute" which is part of the image tag. this
displays text if the image is turned off or is used as an alternate to the
image by user agents for the blind. If this is what you mean then the two
examples on the page you provided worked in both IE 6 and Firefox 1.0, both
of which are installed on my computer. It's pretty standard html and should
work in any but very old browsers, but what do I know...

If you are talking about something else I have no clue.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I need some basic HTML help.

I *finally* figured out how to put in an alt text tag on an image, so the
name of a picture comes up when you mouse over an image.

BUT!

It only works in MSIE's browser, not Safari and Firefox, which leaves out
some visitors.

Any help? How can I get this feature to work in every browser (or is that
impossible?)

I wanted this feature for the index list. Please see http://www.csnjc.org

K Barrett

[IBC] Slightly Off-Topic: Request for BCI Magazine Specific Issue Number Help Please Alan Walker Bonsai 2 26-05-2003 09:32 PM
Off topic, but please DON'Tread ... (was problem with my roses-need help) is now ... Torgo's torgo Roses 0 15-05-2003 08:32 AM
[IBC] pathetic off-topic cry for help Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 05-03-2003 04:27 PM
HTML help K Barrett Orchids 13 25-02-2003 10:53 PM
HTML help K Barrett Orchids 1 24-02-2003 10:27 PM