Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Volcanic rock?

Sponge rock was actually the first medium I experimented with, and I found
that it slowly crumbles over time, forming an air-clogging gunk that
suffocates roots.

"Mark_OK" wrote in message

"Ray B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
You've already identified the problem with gravel - it doesn't hold
water. If you can keep up with the watering schedule, it should be fine.

Do you think adding some sponge rock would help?

I got my LECA and s/h pots from your store. What pots I couldn't retrieve
the spilled LECA to fill, I used gravel. I also am trying clay pots that I
sealed the drainage hole and drilled holes imitating the s/h pots. Some of
the terra cotta pots I painted to help retain water.

I'm starting to wonder if I will ever find a solution that satisfies me
and the plants. I should have started this hobby when I was younger :

Volcanic Dust mark United Kingdom 42 19-04-2010 12:45 AM
Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? C. Nick Kruzer Orchids 12 27-06-2006 08:04 AM
Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock? [email protected] Permaculture 3 08-11-2005 05:42 PM
Volcanic Lava Rock GrlIntrpted Orchids 22 01-04-2004 07:53 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 08:20 PM