Old 22-04-2003, 03:44 AM
MrAVenez

Default Cymbidium trouble

Hi all,

I received a cymbidum orchid as a christmas present in december. Well, over the
last few weeks, many of the leaves have begun to turn brown and shed off. I'm
thinking that maybe I haven't been watering it enough. I don't think it could
be root rot because the plant looked beautiful when I first got it.. any
suggestions??

Sincerely, Anthony
Old 22-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Anthony,

Without more details, it's hard to say for sure, but with underwatering, you
would be more likely to start seeing some desiccation in the pseudobulbs
before root loss.

One thing to keep in mind is that under the controlled, possibly "ideal"
conditions the plant saw before going to the retailer, marginal medium may
still be viable. Usually the plant is exposed to lots of air flow, bright
sunshine, etc.. Once it gets to the retailer, all bets may be off, as who
knows if they know what they're doing. It may be they pushed it over the
edge, or the conditions in their shop - or your home, for that matter - may
let the medium stay wet a lot longer.

One other thing: sometimes, an extremely good flowering is a last-ditch
effort by the plant for survival, that is, a reaction to a stress like
failing roots.

As you can guess, I'd definitely check the root system and consider
repotting.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 23-04-2003, 12:44 AM
V_coerulea

Ray is right. When you get a rapid reaction you're not expecting, check
the roots. It's so easy. Just turn it upside down, knock it out of the pot,
and if there's masses of white to light tan roots that are nice and firm,
you're in business. If they're brown and soft, knock it all of, cut off soft
roots and medium, and start over.