Old 27-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Cymbidium goeringii - Thanks!

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

(snip)

Anyway, I understand that in Japan various unusual cultivated forms of C.
goeringii can fetch crazy money. I've looked for it on and off for some
while but I've yet to see it for sale in the UK. I'll have to redouble my
search.
It's on of the oldest "pretty" plants in cultivation, for over 2,500 years
in China, and they grow some outside at Kew right next to the Alpine House.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of snow
for the winter in their native lands.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Thanks Bob!
That's the info that I was looking for.
I'll grow it outside but give it some protection.
And I'll sure look for it next time I visit Kew.
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm
Old 27-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Roger Van Loon" wrote in message
.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of

snow
for the winter in their native lands.
--

That's the info that I was looking for.

I'll grow it outside but give it some protection.
And I'll sure look for it next time I visit Kew.

Probably only needs some glass over it or bringing it under the eaves of the
house to keep off the rain, the latter is how I grow Pleione formosana
outside and have done for years.

Old 28-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Roger Van Loon

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

"Roger Van Loon" wrote in message
.
Cribb and Bailes in "Hardy Orchids" say it's doubtfully hardy in the UK.
Probably due to our wet cold winters, they live under a nice blanket of

snow
for the winter in their native lands.
--

That's the info that I was looking for.

I'll grow it outside but give it some protection.
And I'll sure look for it next time I visit Kew.

Probably only needs some glass over it or bringing it under the eaves of the
house to keep off the rain, the latter is how I grow Pleione formosana
outside and have done for years.
Bob

Yes, I have that one too, wonder how it has done this winter.
If you ever should come to Utrecht in The Netherlands - there's a
fantastic planting of Pleione formosana in the botanical garden there.
They have been growing on a shady peat bank, for many years, without
any protection in winter (according to staff). Splendid sight in May.
And Utrecht is not the warmest of places. (Colder than where I am, I
think - I'm near Antwerp, in Belgium.)
Regards,
Roger.