Old 22-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Fred Le Blanc

Default Help for a Novice! Repotting Cymbidiums

I have inherited several large pots of cyms from the previous property
owner. Up to now they have done very well and are now overflowing the
pots. The flower production was off from the past years and it is
apparent that they need repotting. Besides the potting barks has
almost entirely decomposed.

I have little experience with cyms, although our paphs are doing great
and we have repotted them. The cyms spend virtually all year outdoors
here in the Sacramento California area. I only move them next to the
house on the coldest of winter nights.

My main questions a
1. When should you repot spring after flowering, summer, or fall?
2. How many bulbs should you include in a pot?
3. Do cyms like a little crowding?

I know that you can grow new plants from the back bulbs, how is this
best accomplished?
Old 22-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

1) It's always best to repot when the plant is starting new growth, which
is often right after flowering.
2) Personally, I always stick to three old bulbs plus a new growth as a
minimum, unless of course, something breaks by accident.
3) Most folks will recommend choosing a pot size large enough for about a
year's growth, but in my experience, I usually go for two. As I gave begun
to grow all of my cymbidiums in semi-hydroponics, I have found that an
ordinarily overly-large pot is not an issue, so have been known to put a
cluster of three 'bulbs in an 8" pot.

One of the easiest ways I have found to get backbulbs to sprout is to place
them halfway into a tray of perlite, keeping it constantly moist and shady.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 23-04-2003, 12:44 AM
V_coerulea

I go along with Ray for his points 1,2 &3. For backbulbs, I've had some
good success with 1-treating the bb's with Physan; 2-potting in a perlite,
peat, vermiculite mix; 3-place the pot in a plastic bag and seal it up with
a twist-tie; 4-place it in the refrig for 1-2 months on the bottom shelf; 5-
remove when you get signs of growth from 50% of the bulbs and pot them up
separately. Of course, make sure that the bbs are plump (I also treat cuts
with sulfur), and have an apparent growth bud in a triangular sheath near
the base, although this is no guarantee. I usually do get a 50% or better
growth rate with this method for regular cymbidiums. Dwarf cyms are much
less exacting and easier to propagate.
Gary
"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" wrote in message
[...]

Sea water on cymbidiums? Damage Control Orchids 27 03-12-2004 10:04 PM
Cymbidiums in the ground bk Orchids 3 24-01-2004 02:42 AM
How to plant cymbidiums? Dicky Orchids 1 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Advice please on repotting cymbidiums Chris Ridge Orchids 8 01-04-2003 12:20 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM