Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default No one from Victoria?

Has anyone heard from Reiner? Used to post under the name AusDigi. His
website is down, but since it was housed on his own server that may not mean
anything. He used to take photos of terrestrials on his tramps through the
national parks.

True, these people probably have bigger problems than contacting folks from
their orchid societies, but it just lets you know how the world has changed.
We've never met you and probably never will but we know you and wonder how
you are and hope everything's OK.

K Barrett

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 3:41*am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Has anyone heard from Reiner? *Used to post under the name AusDigi. *His
website is down, but since it was housed on his own server that may not mean
anything. *He used to take photos of terrestrials on his tramps through the
national parks.

True, these people probably have bigger problems than contacting folks from
their orchid societies, but it just lets you know how the world has changed.
We've never met you and probably never will but we know you and wonder how
you are and hope everything's OK.

K Barrett

Reiner lives in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. He should have been
far enough away from the fire that burnt parts of parts of the Fern
Tree Gully area. His house is not near the fires burnng to the north
or east of Melbourne.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

_____________
Thank you Andrew. You're a pal! I guess I can't get over being a den
mother.

K Barrett

Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm with you, Kathy. In a much different way and on a much happier occasion,
that's why we all toasted you and Joe when you got married. And sent orchids
to Joanna when her baby was born. It's a virtual family.

Diana

Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 8:43*am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Thank you Andrew. You're a pal! *I guess I can't get over being a den
mother.

K Barrett

Not a problem. I realise it's quite disconcerting, when disasters
occur outside of your country, to try and piece together where your
international friends are on a map you're probably not familiar with.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Diana

No need to worry about Kye. He lives in Queensland and is probably closer
to the floods in Northern Australia than he is to the bush fires in
Victoria. Such is the nature of Australia that we are drowning in the
north, burning in the south and being eaten in the middle (two shark attacks
in Sydney in last two days!)
http://www.theage.com.au/national/bo...0213-86a6.html

John

Old 13-02-2009, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 4:04*pm, "John Varigos"
wrote:
Hi Diana

No need to worry about Kye. *He lives in Queensland and is probably closer
to the floods in Northern Australia than he is to the bush fires in
Victoria. *Such is the nature of Australia that we are drowning in the
north, burning in the south and being eaten in the middle (two shark attacks
in Sydney in last two days!)http://www.theage.com.au/national/bo...dneys-second-i...

That reminds me of when I was in India a few years ago. I was in the
Punjab, where the monsoons had failed for several years in a row by
the time I arrived. Average temperature was 45 degrees Celcius, and
Rajastan, to the south of Punjab was even hotter and drier. The
suffering of those in rural areas and in ghettos was terrible. And a
month after I arrived in the Punjab, in Assam, the easternmost state
in India, they had terrible floods that drove all kinds of nasty
critters into homes, and we remarked how cool the Punjab had become
when the termperatures moderated to 35 degrees Celcius ;-).

To bad one can't easily create an infrastructure that takes such
surplus water and pipe or otherwise ship it to neighbors who need it.
That makes as much sense as the pipelines that carry oil and natural
gas from western and northern Canada down to the states and east to
central Canada, perhaps more so. Reduce the hazard, at least a
little, due to flooding, and get it to the south to ameliorate the
worst aspects of the drought.

Needless to say, our thought and prayers in this household are with
the folk down under who are living through such tough times; both in
the flooded north and burning south.

Ted